| Welcome to Raceski. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Reiser, Francis ejected from Daytona | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Feb 13 2007, 04:02 PM (86 Views) | |
| The Dale | Feb 13 2007, 04:02 PM Post #1 |
|
4-Time Nightly FEDEx Heat Champion
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Kasey Kahne and Matt Kenseth will begin the Nextel Cup season with negative points and without their crew chiefs as a result of violations discovered Sunday during post-qualifying inspection for the Daytona 500. Kenny Francis, the team director for Kahne, and Kenseth's crew chief Robbie Reiser both were told on Tuesday that they had been ejected from the 500 and will be suspended for multiple races. Sources said the teams also were informed they would lose 50 Nextel Cup series points as well as fines. NASCAR scheduled a press conference for 3:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday to announce the details. No announcement is expected on the infraction involving Michael Waltrip, whose Toyota was impounded and intake manifold confiscated after an unspecified substance was discovered in the manifold before qualifying. NASCAR chairman Brian France, giving his annual state of the sport address at Daytona International Speedway, described the penalties for Francis, Resier and their respective teams as "strong" and hoped they would send a message that NASCAR will fight to maintain the integrity of the sport. "It's our job to escalate penalties," France said. "You're going to see it today. It will be undeniable that when you keep pushing the system and test the integrity of the sport, we will do whatever it takes. "It doesn't mean you go out and get somebody in the electric chair, but it does mean you step up penalties that make it a true deterrent," France said. "Even when we do that somebody without much to lose or somebody that thinks they're smarter than somebody else will always try." This is the second straight year that a crew chief has been ejected from the 500. Chad Knaus was tossed a year ago after a device designed to raise the rear window of Jimmie Johnson's car was discovered during post-qualifying inspection. Knaus was suspended three additional races and fined $25,000, but no points were taken. Johnson went on to win the 500 with interim crew chief Darian Grubb. "Rest assured no alarm button is going off," said France, who last year expressed concern about the regularity of violations. "Integrity matters. Whatever it takes we will come forward and figure that out." If that ultimately means suspending the driver, France said that will occur. "We will do whatever it takes," he said. "What you don't want to do is jump into the electric chair. You want to escalate penalties. We're going to get tough with the competitors when they push the credibility of the sport. "[But] we've got to have the punishment to fit the crime. We can't get completely silly about it. We have to be tough, firm and clear, and we're going to do that." NASCAR discovered infractions on the cars of Kahne and Kenseth that the governing body deemed enhanced the aerodynamics of the cars. Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president for competition, said there were a couple of air ducts near the rear wheel tub and oil tank area on the interior side of the cars that should have been sealed off for qualifying. He said the caps on those areas were not sealed on Kenseth's car, allowing them to come off during qualifying. He said the caps on Kahne's car were duct taped on. |
![]() |
|
| JetBlack3 | Feb 13 2007, 05:26 PM Post #2 |
![]()
I am the tag team champions
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Daytona wouldnt be Daytona if someone didnt try to pull something lol |
![]() |
|
| The Dale | Feb 13 2007, 06:36 PM Post #3 |
|
4-Time Nightly FEDEx Heat Champion
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Riggs and Sadler's crew chiefs suspended too Penalties Announced: 4 Crew Chiefs Suspended, Fines, Points Taken Away: NASCAR announced Tuesday that four Nextel Cup Series crew chiefs have been suspended from competition, starting with Sunday’s season-opening Daytona 500. Two of the four – Ken Francis, crew chief for the #9 Dodge driven by Kasey Kahne; and Robbie Reiser, crew chief for the #17 Ford of Matt Kenseth – have been suspended for four races and fined $50,000. Also, Kahne and Kenseth were penalized with the loss of 50 driver championship points while their car owners, Ray Evernham and Jack Roush, were penalized 50 car owner championship points. The violations by the #9 and #17 teams were found during post-qualifying inspection on Feb. 11. Both teams’ qualifying times were disallowed. Two others – Rodney Childers, crew chief for the #10 Dodge driven by Scott Riggs; and Josh Browne, crew chief for the #19 Dodge driven by Elliott Sadler – have been suspended for two races and fined $25,000. In addition, Riggs and Sadler were penalized 25 driver championship points while their car owners, James Rocco and Evernham, were penalized 25 car owner championship points. The violations by the #10 and #19 teams were found prior to qualifying. In each instance the violations were of Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing), 12-4-Q (car, car parts components and/or equipment not conforming to NASCAR rules) and 20-2.1E (unapproved aerodynamic modification) of the series rule book.(NASCAR PR)(2-13-2007) |
![]() |
|
| num1hendrickfan | Feb 13 2007, 08:13 PM Post #4 |
![]()
The Contrarian.
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Why don't they just shut down all of Everham Motorsports . Seriously it's hard enough with one team being caught, but all three of them? I'm not trying to poke fun at NASCAR or the officials, but they take way too much pride in finding rules infractions at Daytona. If they want to set examples either penalize everyone with illegal parts or don't penalize at all. For the amount of parts NASCAR seizes at Daytona there should be way more in the way of fines and deduction of points. The use of words to discourage cheating is nice, but those words are meaningless if NASCAR doesn't back them up. Peronsally I would prefer they were more lax in the enforcement of rules. This is a sport built on creative engineering, the result of hours spent in race shops tinkering on precision built machines. By continuously attacking teams NASCAR is sending out the wrong message in regards to innovation and technology. Teams are going to innovate and play with technology, the result of that innovation is better racing. NASCAR should be embracing this innovation and working with the teams to further advance the sport. Instead they think they can stop teams from doing such and in that they are completely wrong. |
![]() |
|
| Dewy9 | Feb 13 2007, 11:07 PM Post #5 |
|
7X Raceski Cup Champion
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Oh well, gotta make up points the new fashioned way- going out to the 1.5- 2 milers and whoopin' some ass. This does seem a little harsh though. I wouldn't mind that, though, if they would stay consistent. Of course, Nascar and consistency are like oil and water. |
![]() |
|
| HuskyMan20 | Feb 14 2007, 02:57 PM Post #6 |
![]()
Don't bullshit a bullshitter!
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I agree with Hammond and D.W. have been saying all along. If you're locked into the field, then why risk something so marginal? But the great news in all this is that Matt has a great car and he's been on the top of the charts all day today and I've seen his car and it just drives like last year's. Can this be another Jimmie Johnson-Chad Knaus incident where the crew chiefs gets suspended because of cheating, but the driver ends up winning the race? I hope so.
|
![]() |
|
| Dewy9 | Feb 14 2007, 03:25 PM Post #7 |
|
7X Raceski Cup Champion
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Ray Evernham said that what they did was supposedly okay last year. That's not the first time that's happened. I know that when Jeff Gordon lost all his points after Richmond in 2000 that they had been running that particular part (intake manifold, I think) for almost half the season and Nascar was aware of it. |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · NASCAR Discussion · Next Topic » |





![]](http://z6.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)





. Seriously it's hard enough with one team being caught, but all three of them? I'm not trying to poke fun at NASCAR or the officials, but they take way too much pride in finding rules infractions at Daytona. If they want to set examples either penalize everyone with illegal parts or don't penalize at all. For the amount of parts NASCAR seizes at Daytona there should be way more in the way of fines and deduction of points. The use of words to discourage cheating is nice, but those words are meaningless if NASCAR doesn't back them up. 