Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to ONLY CUB CADETS ARCHIVE!

WE ARE NOW AT A NEW HOME!

CLICK HERE FOR OUR NEW FORUM HOME

Please Register on our new Site

Please make NO new Postings to this site

Welcome to Only Cub Cadets!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Carb Adjustment
Topic Started: Feb 11 2008, 12:28 AM (472 Views)
GERKS 149

What is the best way to adjust the carb on a 149 with a K321 14hp engine? I just put on the proper carb on my engine and can't seem to get it adjusted properly. The manual says to initially adjust the high speed screw out 2 turns and the idle screw out 1 1/4 turn.
That adjustment does not make it run good at all. It seems to like the high speed screw out around 3 to 4 turns to get the high speed to sound right and the idle screw out around 2 1/2 turns. These settings seem to run good at high and low speeds but anything in between seems to hunt a bit. I left the governor where it was set before with the Walbro carb. This carb was just rebuilt and it is the Kohler one with the 30 in the throat. If I turn the idle screw in more it is not smooth at idle and it really won't idle slow enough. At these settings the throttle response is great and in my opinion, the maximum engine speed seems higher than I like at full throttle.
Keep in mind that the engine does not have a load on it currently when I am adjusting it.
Even when the engine is hot it likes the choke pulled out for a second or two to let it start.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Mark :ih: :roflmao:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cub61
Member Avatar

How's it goin' GERKS 149??? :)

I have a chart here that says the Kohler Adjustable Jet Carburetor adjustments for the K321 are 2-1/2 turns for Low Idle and 3-1/4 High Idle. So basically you have it right just the way you have it set. I hope this helps. Good Luck. :)

Skip

Mark sounds like you have it. One thing to check is your throtal shaft bushing. I had one worn out on the 106 and had a freind repace it and she runs like a dream now. On the overspeed. I reset the gov on one of my 14s and it runs alot better now. Alot of people say dont mess with it but I had to it was overspeeding going down a slight grade and then you had to run it wide open to get back up. It took me longer to read the manual a few times than it did to reset it. There is something in there that wears and you have to reset it. someone will say what it is. Out of all the cubs I own I think the 149 is my favorite by far. Lots of power and a hydro lift great combo.

Heres mine last summer when I finaly got it running. Note to self, you can do a big wheelie with the front off! :eek:

GERKS 149

Thanks guys for the help with my carb adjustments. I am glad to hear that these adjustments are in line with where they should be. I'm sure when I get it out under a load the 149 will run a lot better.
The only question I still have is that when you restart it after it is warm you still have to pull the choke out for a second or two to get it to fire. Is that normal?

Mark :BigThink

cub61
Member Avatar

How's it goin' GERKS 149???? :)

Actually it's pretty normal with this type of carburetor. I pretty much have the same type of carb that you're running, the only difference is that it's for a 7hp engine. And even after it's been running for about 3 hours of mowing I still have to pull the choke to restart it and there are times that I don't. Now keep in mind that I'm always tearing apart my carburetor and dipping it in chem-dip after I get through doing any mowing contract job that I have to make sure that I always have a clean carburetor and that it's ready for the next job. But I would go ahead and check and see if there is'nt anything wrong in the fuel lines or your carburetor could simply need a good cleaning in some chem-dip. But then of course this is just my opinion. I'm pretty sure someone else will have a different opinion on this as well. I hope this helps in some way. Good Luck.

« Previous Topic · IH Cub Cadet Tractors · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Cub Cadet is a premium line of outdoor power equipment, established in 1961 as part of International Harvester. During the 1960s, IH initiated an entirely new line of lawn and garden equipment aimed at the owners rural homes with large yards and private gardens. There were a wide variety of Cub Cadet branded and after-market attachments available; including mowers, blades, snow blowers, front loaders, plows, carts, etc. Cub Cadet advertising at that time harped on their thorough testing by "boys - acknowledged by many as the world's worst destructive force!". Cub Cadets became known for their dependability and rugged construction.

MTD Products, Inc. of Cleveland, Ohio purchased the Cub Cadet brand from International Harvester in 1981. Cub Cadet was held as a wholly owned subsidiary for many years following this acquisition, which allowed them to operate independently. Recently, MTD has taken a more aggressive role and integrated Cub Cadet into its other lines of power equipment.

This website and forum are not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc, website, and MTD Products Inc, is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: http://www.mtdproducts.com. The information and opinions expressed on this website are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or it's members, & do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc.

All images and graphics from this site are the property of www.onlycubcadets.com. Any unauthorized use, reproductions, or duplications are prohibited unless solely expressed in writing.

Cub Cadet, Cub, Cadet, IH, MTD, Parts, Tractors, Tractor, International Harvester, Lawn, Garden, Lawn Mower, Kohler, garden tractor equipment, lawn garden tractors, antique garden tractors, garden tractor, PTO, parts, online, Original, 70, 71, 72, 73, 76, Spirit of 76, 80, 81, 86, 100, 102, 104, 105, 106, 107, 109, 111, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 147, 149, 169, 182, 282, 382, 482, 580, 582, 582 Special, 680, 682, 782, 782D, 784, 800, 805, 882, 982, 984, 986, 1000, 1015, 1100, 1105, 1110, 1200, 1250, 1282, 1450, 1512, 1604, 1605, 1606, 1610, 1615, 1620, 1650, 1710, 1711, 1712, 1912, 1914.

Tractor Links