Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and youíll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Disney Buys Marvel Comics and Now 21st Century Fox
Topic Started: September 2 2009, 08:40 PM (1,701 Views)
mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Disney announced it will buy Marvel Comics for 4 million dollars. The payment will come in the form of both stock and cash. The buyout dose not at this point affect Universal which used the Marvel comics name and charters in their Island of Adventure park. The purchase will have a bigger impact on Paramount entertainment who holds the distribution rights for the movies.

Update Dec 2017
Dinsey has moved forward to acquire 21st Century Fox. The deal has a total value of approximately $66.1 billion, with Disney assuming $13.7 billion of Fox's net debt. The company will get Fox's movie studios, networks Nat Geo and FX, and stakes in Sky, Endemol Shine Group and Hulu, as well as regional sports networks. This will also give Disney control over popular franchises like Alien and "Predator. It will also give them content form franchises they own but Fox holds production rights like Marvel's X-Men and original and Prequel Star Wars films. Lets not forget shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy and The X-Files.
Edited by mrceagle, December 22 2017, 09:39 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Newsies
Member Avatar
Dolphin
[ *  *  *  * ]
From what I have ready this will ahve little effect on Universals Island of adventure park. Seems the Marketing agremanet to use the Marvel charasters is pretty solid.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Incase you didnt know, Disneyland is rethemeing their Tower of Terror attraction into Guardians of the Galaxy. This isnít so bad as long as they donít retheme Disney Worlds version.

Also check out this cool video I just came across:

Edited by mrceagle, March 30 2017, 10:20 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I'm not a big fan of the Guardians conversion of Twilight zone but I get it. Why pay for a property that few know when you can use a popular one for free. While FL is safe for now, do to the Universal usage rights deal, I have a fear that if they are eager to convert the Ca tower. We might see a replacement in the future for FL, though not with this theme.

Journey into imagination is an amazing ride. I remember the old ride and never experienced the horror that was Journey into your Imagination. I have not been on the new version with Figment but My family has and they were not impressed. I Would love to see them do what Knotts did and return the classic attraction but that would require them adding back in a tone of ride shells. I'm confident it would be a success.

Coincidentally a couple weeks ago I found a old Figment stuffed animal at a local goodwill store. it has all the original tags and was copyrighted for 1983 when the ride first opened. That same week I found a shot glass from Six Flags Ohio

anyways, I have been hearing a lot of things like this. areas shut down, rides shortened, cheap fixes. in the mean time Universal is going all out.
Edited by SROS Master, April 27 2017, 12:40 AM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I agree it would be great if they brought back the origional Jountry into your imagination, but with the modern upgrades so it wont feel dated.

If by any chance FL rethemes their Tower of Terror, I hope it would have a similar plot to Toyko Disneyseas version.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I somewhat doubt they will. Universals contract is very strict. That small park in Canada had to remove there marvel attractions dot o the contract and they are in another country I doubt Universal will budge on their stance.

What I'm not sure of is how this relates to smaller properties. I guess there could be some loop hole but With a lot of the park already being taken over by Toy Story/pixar and Star wars I welcome the unique theme.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEHTZqexjHw

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
This ride looks a lot better than I thought it was gonna be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0F2aLwt2d8

Still really wish this wont happen on Floridas Tower of Terror, as the themeing of that ride is timeless.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
The ride did come out pretty good. Though the obvious video effects aren't as impressive as the Holograms used in ToT. While I'm sure we will in time see something Marvel come to WDW it will be a while and by that time maybe they will be looking to build a 5th theme park.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
While this is entertainment not part related it was related to this topic. Ridley Scott fears end of Alien franchise after Disney purchase.

In a nut she'll he feels Disney will be unwilling to put out an agrssive R rated movieeven under the Fox brand.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3477377/ridley-scott-confirms-alien-franchises-uncertainty-disneys-acquisition-fox/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · National and Intermationan Amusement News (Parks, Rides, Attractions, & more) · Next Topic »
Add Reply