Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and you’ll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New England Aquarium Opens Expansion; Marine Mammal Center
Topic Started: July 3 2009, 11:02 AM (1,600 Views)
mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The New England Aquarium has opened their first expansion since the addition of the Imax Theater in 2001. The Marine Mammal Center is the new home to the parks northern fur seals and potentially several California sea lions. $10 million open-air pavilion is located at the back of the aquarium. paid for with private donations including a 3 million donation by local New Balance Shoe's.

Stats:
* Cost $10 million
* 68,000 gallon 60-foot-long pool
* depth from 6 inches to 7 ft
* can accommodate Hundreds of guests at a time.
* Annual Attendance around 1.3 million

Marine Mammal Center at the New England Aquarium.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

canobiecrazy
Member Avatar
Gupy
[ *  *  * ]
This gives me a good reason to get into boston again!

Thanks for the data about it, looks really good.
Posted Image

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Ya I haven't been to the Aquarium in about 5 years. I have been wanting to go back. This is a really good reason to.

HubbDave
No Avatar
Gupy
[ *  *  * ]
The aquarium is mostly the same... I've been going almost 40 years, and with the addition of the new wing and Imax theater, it is 90% identical. My kids love it.
This is a good addition since they removed the old Discovery barge from way back. People love seals/sea lions. I wonder if dolphins will be added.

The people in Mystic do it better, but it is pricey.

The NEAq also hosts a Women in Science program for middle school age girls that some of my students and I participated in last fall, that was great.

Their old Perry Cubmarine, which hung from the rafters for 40 years, was donated to a local school department (Burlington??? maybe Needham?)

That was my favorite...

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
They rehabbed the front entrance and added then Gift shop, the water habitats area, and the Cafe. Have to love that the Cafe serves fish. So there has been a few updates. I NE Aquarium is the oldest and first major Aquarium in the country. Mystic was built 5- 10 years later on more land and an idea of how to improve. Look at newer aquariums like Atlanta and Brooklyn NY they are far superior to even Mystic.

I think this is a step in teh right direction.

HubbDave
No Avatar
Gupy
[ *  *  * ]
The gift shop is a scary enemy of my wallet!

Cute little seal stuffed animals ($30), cute little penguin stuffed animals ($30)

2 kids... you get the idea...

The additions they made up front really help with the flow into the place.
One thing I don't like is the psycho picture people at the entrance/exit. They cn be rude.

My 2 year old dropped a binky into the penguin pool in April. If you see a macaroni penguin with a red pacifier, let me know.. :D

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
but the smile on your Children's face: Priceless!
I heard they got permission and budget to start the Harbor wind. A Tub walkway that would go into the harbor. So that should be open in a year or 2.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Man I really cant believe I found a picture of this fountain I remembered seeing way back when I first ever went to this Aquarium.

Posted Image.

Edited by SROS Master, October 17 2017, 11:47 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Wow, can't say I remember it. It is a stunning fountain.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · New England Parks and Attractions News · Next Topic »
Add Reply