Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and you’ll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Where are They Now; Whalom's Rides
Topic Started: September 13 2008, 11:56 AM (5,258 Views)
Unregistered

Is there going to be efforts to buy the old rides back ( Scrambler from Edeville ) ? Or finding the ferris wheel, bouncer, Tumble bug ? All these rides I would love to see come back to the old part of the park ...
Quote Post Goto Top

Chair Scott
No Avatar

Most of Whalom's original rides were sold and incorporated in other parks. We would have no chance in purchasing them from their new owners.:( However, We have found a hand full of rides that were stored and never installed. These rides we are trying to purchase. :o These rides need restoration and they might not be able to be saved.:unsure: This will not stop us from trying though. We will keep you posted. :D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Does anyone have the list of all rides they had at whalom and where they currently are ?
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

Chair Scott
Sep 13 2008, 02:46 PM
Most of Whalom's original rides were sold and incorporated in other parks. We would have no chance in purchasing them from their new owners.:( However, We have found a hand full of rides that were stored and never installed. These rides we are trying to purchase. :o These rides need restoration and they might not be able to be saved.:unsure: This will not stop us from trying though. We will keep you posted. :D

Do you know where most of those original rides are located ( Im curious as to where they are now :-) ) and perhaps which rides ? What rides were just stored and never installed ? Would love to help goes those up and running!

Any information would be great !

Thanks
Quote Post Goto Top

Unregistered

mrceagle
Sep 24 2008, 08:42 AM

Does anyone have the list of all rides they had at whalom and where they currently are ?

The Program has been keeping The original ride list in mind when looking for rides for the new park. The Original rides were Auctioned off. The whereabouts of many of the rides is known. Though many of them were put into service. The Program is in contact with a few owners with the hopes to get back some of the original rides.

Do you have the list of the original rides and their where abouts ? I think its neat to find things like that out ( just for my personal curiousity )

Thanks

John
Quote Post Goto Top

Chair Scott
No Avatar

Hi John, Through a board members help (former ride mechanic from Whalom) we have compiled a list. Seeing roughly two thirds of Whalom's rides have been incorporated in other parks still in operation. We will be unable to acquire those, however we have a possible lead on some Kiddie Land rides, possibly the Train, Whip and (if Edaville hasn't scraped it) Tumble Bug. Again a possible lead. We have a few more items to accomplish before the rides package is secured, but it is on our list. I would like to see more posts from you. Please feel free to register as a member so we can keep this conversation on going.

mainelycoasters
No Avatar
Gupy
[ *  *  * ]
Where did the orginal skooters end up?

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mainelycoasters
Sep 28 2008, 09:30 PM
Where did the original skooters end up?

The Skooters as wheal as the whip were purchased at the park auction by Story Land in Glen, NH. The Skooters are not in good shape that's why the parks Flying fish ride is a new Larson model as apposed to Whalom's Bosch Rico Skooters.

Unregistered

is the whip in use? think we can get the skooter cars back cheap? might make a cool themed booth for a sit down resterant.
Quote Post Goto Top

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Sep 29 2008, 03:46 PM
is the whip in use? think we can get the skooter cars back cheap? might make a cool themed booth for a sit down resterant.

The whip is not in use. but expansion plans at Story land have been slowed do to the purchase by kennywood and them by Parques Reunidos. They aren't very willing to sell the whip but the cars for the Skooters are possible. Thing is they would likely want what they payed on the whole ride back for them.

Unregistered

Chair Scott
Sep 28 2008, 02:13 PM
Hi John, Through a board members help (former ride mechanic from Whalom) we have compiled a list. Seeing roughly two thirds of Whalom's rides have been incorporated in other parks still in operation. We will be unable to acquire those, however we have a possible lead on some Kiddie Land rides, possibly the Train, Whip and (if Edaville hasn't scraped it) Tumble Bug. Again a possible lead. We have a few more items to accomplish before the rides package is secured, but it is on our list. I would like to see more posts from you. Please feel free to register as a member so we can keep this conversation on going.

What is the list so far? Could you put the list on here The ride and where they are / in operation or not ?

Thanks and I will be registering :-)

John
Quote Post Goto Top

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I'll see what I can do in my spare time.

Whalom Park Fan
No Avatar
Sea Horse
[ *  * ]
mrceagle
Oct 5 2008, 06:02 PM

Just wanted to follow up to see if you were able to get the list up on here of all the rides that whalom had and where they are now and if they are in operation?

Thanks

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Whalom Park Fan
Oct 26 2008, 10:37 AM
mrceagle
Oct 5 2008, 06:02 PM

Just wanted to follow up to see if you were able to get the list up on here of all the rides that whalom had and where they are now and if they are in operation?

Thanks

Been a little swamped lately. I got a general list but with no info on what the rides are up to now. I will continue to work on this on my free time.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Whalom Rides List

• Carousel (1914) Looff - Menagerie returned to owners form previous sale. Mechanism sold in action to a local.
• Ferris wheel Eli Bridge – bought by local carnivnal
• Flyer Comet (1940) PTC – demolished on October 17th 2006
• Flying Scooters - Sold to Story Land currently in storage.
• The Looper/rat cages/rockn roll Allan Hershell – sold to kneobles
• Octopus – SBNO(non functional) at close of park.
• Paratrooper -
• Roto-Jets – bought but abandoned
• Satellite Jets - Originally from Palisades Park, buyer took cars and abandoned the mechanism.
• Scrambler Eli Bridge – Sold to Edaville used for parts.
• Sea Dragon Chance – Returned to owner
• Tilt-a-whirl Sellner – sold to edaville used for parts
• Tumble Bug Traver engineering– sold to edaville placed in storage.
• Turnpike – go carts abandoned.
• The Whip W.F. Mangels - Sold to Story land currently in storage.
• Yo-Yo Chance – returned to owner.
• Train Chance Iron horse – Sold to a private owner. Track scraped.
• Tip top/tea cups – scraped, a couple of cars saved.
• Funhouse – demolished.
• 4 kiddie rides were sold to a local and are in storage
• Remaining kiddie rides sold to edaville – operating

Unregistered

mrceagle
Nov 12 2008, 07:35 PM
Whalom Rides List

• Carousel (1914) Looff - Menagerie returned to owners form previous sale. Mechanism sold in action to a local.
• Ferris wheel Eli Bridge – bought by local carnivnal
• Paratrooper -
• Satellite Jets - Originally from Palisades Park, buyer took cars and abandoned the mechanism.
• Funhouse – demolished.

Ferris wheel Eli Bridge – bought by local carnivnal -- wouldnt happen to be Fiesta Shows ?

Turnpike – go carts abandoned. -- Surprised nobody bought the cars to have for restoration or memoribilia ...

Its a shame to see most of the rides used for parts I wonder if they were still in operational condition ( whole ride ) ?

Did Paul from the Puppet land keep or have alot memoribilia from whalom ( perhaps things from the funhouse parts from rides ( signs etc ) ? that would be cool to see ..

Are there still efforts on trying to get some rides back and get them operational ?

I want to thank you for the list and if someothers come up please post its very good reading although sad to see :(
Quote Post Goto Top

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Nov 13 2008, 05:15 PM
Ferris wheel Eli Bridge – bought by local carnivnal -- wouldnt happen to be Fiesta Shows ?

Turnpike – go carts abandoned. -- Surprised nobody bought the cars to have for restoration or memoribilia ...

Its a shame to see most of the rides used for parts I wonder if they were still in operational condition ( whole ride ) ?

Did Paul from the Puppet land keep or have alot memoribilia from whalom ( perhaps things from the funhouse parts from rides ( signs etc ) ? that would be cool to see ..

Are there still efforts on trying to get some rides back and get them operational ?

I want to thank you for the list and if someothers come up please post its very good reading although sad to see :(

I'm not sure which carnival bought it I thin kit was Fenneli but I'm not 100% sure.

The turnpike cars, the original ones, were sold off in the 90's they were replaced by 2 go carts which weren't anything special. Hard to do much with 2 regular go carts.

The rides were in operational condition when they were sold.

I'm not sure is Paul has anything. the NWPOP has been working with the land owner to get some memorabilia.

There are efforts to get back some of the original rides and operate them again. though only a few rides are available. There is also an effort of getting rides that are of the style. a new scrambler, tilt-a-whirl, Whip, etc.

Thrillride93
No Avatar
Sea Horse
[ *  * ]
The eli wheel is fanelli's. Does fiesta have the sea dragon and yo yo

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Thrillride93
Nov 14 2008, 05:43 PM

The sea dragon and yoyo went back to fenelli. the park was leasing these 2 rides they did not own them.

Whalom Park Fan
No Avatar
Sea Horse
[ *  * ]
mrceagle
Nov 14 2008, 09:39 PM
Thrillride93
Nov 14 2008, 05:43 PM

The sea dragon and yoyo went back to fenelli. the park was leasing these 2 rides they did not own them.

Oh thats interesting I didnt know they were leased. I really hope we can get alot of the old rides back and get them operational so we can all ride them once again!

canobiecrazy
Member Avatar
Gupy
[ *  *  * ]
Fanelli's Ferris Wheel is for sale again. Possibly they could buy it back. 60,000 USD seems like a good price.
Posted Image

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
canobiecrazy
Nov 18 2008, 02:49 PM
Fanelli's Ferris Wheel is for sale again. Possibly they could buy it back. 60,000 USD seems like a good price.

for an older used Eli wheel that's a bit on the high end. given it's age it should be closer to half that price. would be a bit over 100K installed after a rehab.

Redfive05
No Avatar
Crill
[ * ]
mrceagle
Nov 13 2008, 07:42 PM
Nov 13 2008, 05:15 PM

The turnpike cars, the original ones, were sold off in the 90's they were replaced by 2 go carts which weren't anything special. Hard to do much with 2 regular go carts.

The original Turnpike Cars were Streifthau Turnpike Cruisers and were removed from service in 1991/92. I'm not sure if these were scrapped or sold. But one did show up in a scrap metal yard about 5 years ago, and through the magic of eBay I was able to acquire it.

The original cars were replaced with two Honda go-karts. These were sold for the park through a local auction house on eBay after the park closed. The same auction house also sold off the Clown Head trash barrel toppers and some other various items from the park.

If anyone knows where any of the other Streifthau Turnpike Cruisers ended up please let me know!

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Will do, thanks for the great information. I'm glad you signed up.

thanks again for the photos.

Redfive05
No Avatar
Crill
[ * ]
mrceagle
Mar 29 2009, 07:59 PM
thanks again for the photos.

No prob.... did you get all the ones you wanted? :D

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Ya they worked out great.

PTC4me
No Avatar
Crill
[ * ]
mrceagle
Nov 12 2008, 07:35 PM
Whalom Rides List

• Carousel (1914) Looff  - Menagerie returned to owners form previous sale. Mechanism sold in action to a local.
• Ferris wheel  Eli Bridge – bought by local carnivnal
• Paratrooper -
• Funhouse – demolished.

I was formerly in touch with the gentleman who purchased the Eyerly Fly-O-Plane ride. Sadly, the ride was damaged heavily in transit, to the point where the ride could not be reassembled for use in its new home. Unaware whatever became of the fate of it, but assume it was scrapped. :(

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Very interesting but sad info. Was it going to a park or a carnival?

I only had the pleasure of riding the ride twice once at Whalom and once Benson's. Such a fun ride.

PTC4me
No Avatar
Crill
[ * ]
mrceagle
Apr 2 2009, 10:56 PM
Very interesting but sad info. Was it going to a park or a carnival?

It was a guy who had owned carnival rides, but who was trying to purchase "interesting and unique pieces" with the notion of opening up a small "traditional" amusement park. We were chatting because he was interested in possibly purchasing the old wooden COMET roller coaster from the defunct Lincoln Park, and at the time I was working with George Laibe at The Coaster Works, and they were involved from a structural analysis/feasibility study.

This guy had purchased the Fly-O-Plane, was looking at the Comet coaster, and was desperately trying to get the folks at Conneaut Lake Park to sell him their 1970s Chance Rides "Turbo" ride.

In the end, the Fly-O-Plane was destroyed in transit, the Comet coaster's wooden structure was too rotten to consider purchase/relocation, and Conneaut Lake feared liability issues in selling the Turbo ride. So, I think in time, this gentleman gave up his efforts. But it sure was a great idea at the time...

-B

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Would this be the person who owns Little-A-merica? i know he bought the trains and was working to move the coaster with no luck. I know he has plans to rebuild the Lincoln park comet.

disgirl
No Avatar
Crill
[ * ]
Would it be possible to put an add in local papers to see if locals had pieces signs ect that they would be willing to share with the new park?

I know some people would want to keep their spoils but some would be willing to share. I don't have anything but I'm sure some people would be willing to help.

Also would the park do group outings like the old Whalom park used to do?

Jenn
(new member who is very excited)

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
That's an option we will likely take when teh time comes. When the carousel was reconstructed many of the houses were donated back to the park by the buyers.

HubbDave
No Avatar
Gupy
[ *  *  * ]
Did Storyland ever respond about the Whip (that is would they ever sell it back?)

Anyone up there supportive of Whalom?

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Story land is supportive to the efforts but at this time want to keep the whip. There had been plans to rehab and use it before the park went through its 2 sales.

mbarber
No Avatar
Crill
[ * ]
Two or three of the cars from the Kosmojet ride are at Daewoo North car dealership in Lunenburg.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Way to make your first post count. Great info, This I hadn't heard about.

Chair Scott
No Avatar

Neither have I. I'll have to make it a point to check it out. Though I don't want to buy a car.

CanobieFan
Member Avatar
Sea Horse
[ *  * ]
Somebody should buy the Tumble Bug off of Edaville before they start using that for parts! :(
Name one reason Iron Cyclone is a good idea other than its a world class coaster. :(
You can't. :D

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
No worry about using it for parts. They won't go to anything else. In the long run the goal will be to get as much back as possible.

CanobieFan
Member Avatar
Sea Horse
[ *  * ]
The Tumble Bug- Does anyone know how to build that? Or would it be custom made?
Name one reason Iron Cyclone is a good idea other than its a world class coaster. :(
You can't. :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Whalom's Rides, Shows and Attractions · Next Topic »
Add Reply