Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and you’ll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Haunted houses of New England; where to find them
Topic Started: October 11 2011, 08:43 AM (1,328 Views)
mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
October is the year were the air gets cooler and Halloween is on our minds. Many of us are hoping to hit one of the many fantastic haunted attractions that New England has to offer. I have put together a list to help make finding a Haunt near you easier.

haunts.newwhalom.com

Happy Halloween
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Sei Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Its that time of year. Fright Kingdom will have a new haunt replacing the fifth and final haunt from last year. I am also excited that Haunted Acres is bringing back their nightime zipline. I am also kinda pissed off that Haunted Acres and Ghoullogs Lights out events are taking place on a weekend day during October, and not during early November like what Nightmare New England does(and Haunted Acres from a couple seasons ago). Oh well though.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I did notice that. The haunt listing is currently being updated and should be up and running with the 2017 info soon.

I was also excited about the new haunt at fright kingdom. Not sure if I will get there this season or not.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
The 2017 update for New England haunts is now up and running. Check it out and find a Haunted house near you.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Sei Whale
Really like your Haunted House list. Only thing you could fix is that Factor of Terror has two other locations. But then again, their main website already lets you know that.

I might check out the Worcester location, since I have a friend who lives in that general area. Definitely will consider checking out the Dark Crop, since that is the closest haunt to where I live.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I list all 3 Factory of Terrors. the Worcester one is listed higher because its newer. you'll find the fall river location further down in the list and the 3rdlocation listed in RI were it operates.

I added 2 new haunts to Mass this year and with the closing of a few I opted to create a past haunts page. I still have a lot to add right now it's the ones that closed this year. at the moment the link if under the home page only.

KateWhip
Member Avatar
Dolphin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't do haunted houses but i did share out your web site on my facebook. Hope it helps. I did see you have a list of hay rides. that sounds fun. But I wonder how many of them are set up for a wheelchair.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Wile looking at Halloween stuff online I cane across a sit and this info based on Instagram posts.
Sourse - https://www.halloweenexpress.com/haunted-houses

per 1,000 posts there were just ove14 posts making NH the second most intagramed state in the country
Posted Image

NH is the 3rd biggest haunted house posted
Posted Image

NH was the 8th most talked about for haunted houses using the tag Scary
Posted Image

If you looking fora Fun haunted house RI took the number 9 spot for that tag
Posted Image

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I was hoping to check out Frear Factory in Worchester, Mass but it seems the 15th is the only Sunday all season they are not open.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Sei Whale
And the 1st of October. At least its open for lights out on extra nights other haunts wouldn’t be open.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
That is true but I was half way there yesterday so I figured it was worth the 30 minute drive but for me to visit now I would have to drive an hour. Maybe next year. but at this point I think Canobie might ed up being my only haunts this season. Still might squeeze in Dark Crop in Hollis.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Sei Whale
And now my review of this years Haunted Acres I just got back with my friend.

I was gonna do the nightime zipline, but unfortunately I found out that I weight a little over the max weight limit of 250 pounds. I must have gained a little weight since the time I have done it a few years back. Oh well, the zipine itself isnt anything like Gunstocks(and thankfully its max weight is 260).

We first did Area 52 which use to have a different theme but the layout remains the same. There were a few new things that I thought made the haunt better than when I last went through it.

Then we did the 3d haunt. Its strange but kinda fun to have the usher not talk, but rather used hang signals, body expressions, and pointing at signs. The haunt had one new thing at the beginning I thought made the haunt a little better. Other than that, it was virtually the same as last time.

Then we did the maze of hell. Same as last time. I wish some of the dead ends were covered in black tarp to make them pitch black.

Next the quarter mile walk. It was kinda fun and cute to have that usher trying to make getting the ticket back a challenge after punching it. But it got pretty annoying after a while. I get she was trying to kill some time to make more space in the haunt, but your just gonna hold up a bigger line if you don't know when to stop. Not to mention that person your messing with could end up doing something impulsive to get the ticket, only to grab your arm by mistake(like what I did).

That aside, the beginning of the haunt had a few decorations that made the overall haunt a little better. I also liked the green laser effect used on the big bridge. Other than that, it was pretty much the same thing as last time.

Finally, Graveyard of the damned. I liked how instead of going through the first building, you walked up a hill and through some trees and then back down the hill. I also liked how there was real campfire at the end of the haunt. Other than that, you know what.

It was overall a little better than my last time here. Liked the lazers they used at the main park shinning into the woods. Campfires are always nice to have. Liked hearing Bach's Tocanna and Fugue in D minor in the background.

Now if only they could bring back that zombie walk they had.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Last review I got from the attraction was that they had fun but they felt it fell short of expectations.

Canobie's haunts are a joke this year. But more on that later.

Chair Scott
No Avatar

I'm surprised that the Haunted Acres is still in the same place as the former Liquid Planet. I'm curious did the new owners of LP purchase the HA or were they able to renew their lease? The last time I went there it was still LP but haunt was really good. My nephew really enjoyed it
Sadly I haven't been able to go to any this season. Will have to try and make an effort next time.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
As far as I know the Haunted Acres attraction is still separately owned. No good reason to kick them out it's revenue during a period where you would otherwise be closed.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Sei Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6Qmwq8zfE&list=WL&index=15

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Cool video looks like a solid attraction.

This was not a great year for me haunt wise. I was able to hit the haunts at Canobie lake and that was it.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Sei Whale
Heres Docs review of Fear Towns 18+ walkthrough for one night only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFvUQwHda-A

It sounds similar to my experience at the Cult, except there was one scene at the Cult that was scarier than anything that happened at Fear Town.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I gave up on that before the end. not something I would pay to do. I'm happy to pay to get scared but not going to pay to be treated badly.

One think though was the thing about having to sing to be shown the way out. They used to do that at the Haunted mansion at Victorian Park.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Sei Whale
I have some fascinations with the 18+ haunt concept. I like how they put you into some challenging, yet scary situations where you find your way out in a small dark room, or get thrown into a pitch black closet. Or put you in a suspenseful moment you think some extreme thing will happen to you. However I do agree treating people like garbage distracts the experience. Scaring people is a tricky art, especially those who don’t get scared that easily. You have to come up with a scene that starts out creepy, then ends with a jumpscare that has to be perfectly timed, depending how the scene exactly goes.

You know, because it has been 5 years since I last went through the Cult, I can repost my walkthough that I saved. I also recently updated it due to some memories that came back.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Cool, I look forward to reading them.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Sei Whale
It is done. Now keep in mind I made a lot of changes to this walkthrough, since my grammar skills were not quite as good then, and there were some other things that happened during this experience I didn’t feel comfortable sharing at the time. So here is a more elaborate, better explained and more raw version of the Cult walkthrough I did.

Enjoy!

I had to reserve my spot a week in advance by phone, and boy I was so lucky I was able to get a spot in at the 7pm one. If I remembered correctly it was the final Sunday of October of that year, which just happens to be their final night. The place where I got my ticket was in a small building just before the main lodge. Here is where I signed the waiver. All I had to do was check all the things that may happen during the haunt. Then they gave me a stress card that went around my neck incase I wanted out.

From there, you go outside in the waiting area with a firepit that burns propane gas. Theres another lodge located left of the main lodge where you can come in and buy food and drinks. The gateway of the Cult was located between the main lodge, and the lodge left of it. It had a short staircase that led to the gateway. The gateway and fence looked like one of those used in prison, with a tarp sign atop that said the Cult.

We were all standing in the general area near the gateway. When it was time, a security guy acting in a monotone state trooper way, ordered us to move through in a single file. Once we walked past the gateway, there was a metal wall on our left. We were then ordered to stop. Then we were ordered to stand leaning on the metal wall. I thought this was the part we were gonna get electrocuted, considering I have a personal fear of electric shocks. Thankfully that didn't happen. Then he ordered us to face him, and he made us count down. I was number 4 if I remembered correctly. Then we all walked to the waiting area. I remembered number 6 was ordered to stand alone in a cage. Then he went over his spiel to make sure we all signed the waiver, and explained how this is a one of a kind haunt that isn't anything like a traditional haunt. Then one by one, he would order an individual to put their hands against a wall, so he would check to make sure you don't have things that they deem unacceptable of the haunt, such as cellphones, and keys. The security guy will keep an eye on them during your visit. Then, he would grab you by the shoulder and walk you towards the edge of the wooden platform facing the chairlift. Then its onto the chairlift once he instructs you to do so. I remembered at some point while I was waiting for my turn, number 6 was saying some random nonsense stuff to his friend. Then the security guy said in a monotone police like way, “number 6, shut up.” I thought it was kinda funny. When it was my turn and I was at the point where I was facing the chairlift near the edge of the platform, he ordered me to put my left arm forward. While I certainly do know what that means now, back then I had no idea. I also wasn't sure if I was allowed to speak. So I put my arm straight down in front of my left leg. Was that what he meant? Then he said, no forward. I then put my arm on the left side of my left leg, feeling dead confused. Then he said in a scolding way. “Is that your arm forward?! ” I then had to say it! I put my arm back to the front part of my leg and said, is this forward? He then grabbed my arm and yanked it up to a horizontal position. Then he drew a number on top of my hand, which I assume is the box number my belongings are in. Then he walks away to grab the next victim. I felt humiliated at this point. Finally he comes back and orders me to walk to the chairlift.

Here is where the solo journey begins. It was relieved the lift attendants were way nicer than that guy was. The ride to the top was very peaceful(albeit very cold). Though I was also having a hard time trying to get over what just happened earlier. At the top of the lift, there were no lights except for the top terminal. The lift attendant said to follow the dirt road to the cabin in a friendly and said have fun. Yeah….. lets see how fun this actually is. I followed the path that led me to the cabin where last years haunt took place. Once I arrived at cabin, a cold heartless guy was standing at the entrance. Then ordered me to follow him. We were walking on the balcony, and we stopped at a corner. He ordered me to put on the headphones. Then he threw me into a pitch black booth, and I was facing pitch black darkness. The curtain thats in front of me starts to move into my face. This was starting to freak me out. It then backs off a little. I then figured it was just the wind coming from outside. The curtain was being used as a window. During this moment, I hear footsteps, and the guy yelling and cursing at people who may have not properly followed his order(im guessing from people talking when they were not suppose to). A few minutes later, the guy grabbed on my shoulder and another guy was shoved in the same booth I was in. Then nothing happened. After what seemed like several more minutes, I am grabbed out of the room, and am then up against another wall. This time, fingers came out of the wall, with occasional beams of light. Then, I am grabbed again, and into another room. This time it seemed like I was in the building. My headphones were then removed. Is a load siren going to go off or something! Bright lights then shined on my face. Then, a hood was placed upon my head, and another pair of headphones was placed on my head, and this is where the wild ride begins. I am moved through twists and turns, and I don't just mean walking around. I was practically running/jogging around the place. I had to be careful not to trip and fall! I also had no clue where I was going. During this moment, bass cannon music was blasting all over the place. There was a guy who said to me, wow your f***ing tall. Then was told to sit down. I did, and I was sitting on a chair. Then, my body was moved all over the place from the actors. Then, someone takes the left part of my headphones off, and a women whispers in my ear random stuff. Then asked me an unnecessary task. To cross my legs like a women. I thought I did. I moved my left foot over my right foot. Was that was she meant? Then she said, haha someone has not been paying attention in english class. She moved my left leg over my right leg. Gees gal, you could have just done that yourself rather than making me do it in the first place. Not to mention it personally hurt my feelings a little since I did have a struggle with english class. She then placed my left part of the headphones back on. I was then told to get up. I though she meant to sit up and then stand up, but then she yelled at me, I said get up not sit up. Again, feeling a little hurt. I could have felt a lot worse about it, but I know there just acting. Still though….. So I bent my back down again, then stood up with my back bent. Then I was jogging around a little again, accidentally bumping my head along the way. Then we stopped and she told me to stand up tall. Then told me to turn around. By this point, the music was subsiding. I then was told to spin around and around. I span around, and was dizzy. Then was led in a room. Then my head phones, and hood were taken off. The women yelled at me to follow the string, and slammed the door in front of me. I was alone in the dark, and was confused as to where I am. Eventually I did find the string, and followed it. I was following it in the wrong direction at first, cause I wasn't sure where it started, til I figured that out. Then I followed the string in the correct direction. It led to a crawling tunnel. Went through crawling tunnel, which led me to another room with one of those dental chairs. A doctor instructs me to sit on the chair. I did, and he places a plastic bag on my face, and immediately I was having trouble breathing. He then painted blood on my hands. Then sticked a needle on my wrist, which caused minor pain(it was a fake one). At this point, he let loose enough on the bag that I can breath better. I was then told to get up, and was led to a dark corner and was standing against the wall. He asked me to pick number 1, 2, or 3. If I remembered correctly, I picked number 2. The bag was then removed, and I was thrown into a dark closet. Then he yelled at me about something but couldnt pick up what it was. The door was then slammed shut. I was all alone in there in pitch blackness for a while. The door opened behind me, and he grabbed in the back and said, “I didn't tell you to move.” All I did was walked back a teeny bit having me thrown off balance a bit. He also said stuff about if I wanted to continue I had to listen and do what the actors say. Very unfair, and I had a feeling he was purposely trying to humiliate me based on my weakness in following directions perfectly the first time round. He then pulled me into the room, which smelled bad on purpose. It was playing a song, which I find crude and annoying. He then aggressively placed me in a bed. He was a shirtless dude wearing some kind of black hooded mask. Here is where listening becomes a labor. He was saying random things, but I couldn't figure out what he was saying due to the music. Occasionally he would put a black cloth on my face for a couple minutes. At one point he said and did something which I thought he ordered me to do something that he didn't order me to do. I only found that out when he said, “did I tell you open your mouth?” He then looked at my stress card in curiosity. He then said to me, “do you want your stress card removed”? I shook me head. “Well are you going to do what I tell you to do?” I nodded. Then he said, “do you like pain?” I nodded. “Yeah I like that!” He grabbed onto my neck and then pushed on my chest, perhaps simulating the fact that he is choking me. My two arms were then tied tight by a rope. Mysterious liquid was then pored on my neck. My shoes were then removed from another actor. Then I was released, and was told to get up. I was led to the corner of the room. He then complimented on how much better I listened now. Then, was told to crawl through a very claustrophobic crawling passage, with twists and turns. It was cool, but I wish it could have been longer, darker, and had some uneven surfaces. I enter a room, with I think was a kitchen. But it did have a table with chairs, and a real live rat in the center of the table. Or course though it was in a cage. My shoes were in this room. I decided to put them on, assuming thats what your then supposed to do. A cheerful lady enters the room and greets me in a friendly manor. She apologizes for how those guys from earlier were treating me, so she was going to be nice to me. I was told to sit in a chair where the table is. Now before I explain what happens next, I remembered reading in the haunt rules to not speak unless instructed to do so. She asked my name, assuming it was ok to speak for this one part. I did, then she said, “haha I win because your not allowed to speak”. Thats when I realized what they really meant by that is by literally telling you to speak. I really wish they could have been more clear about that! For a moment, I thought I was gonna get kicked out when she asked me for 10 dollars. I had my wallet, but pretended that I didn't have any money. She then forgave me and let me continue on. Here is where they really toy with the no speaking rule. She kept asking questions like what area I am from, or what state I live in. I nodded, and shook my head. She gave me candy that I didn't want, but I held onto it anyway. She ordered me to blow on the tea cup, which has no real liquid in it. Then, I had to pretend to drink it. This was the least scary part of the whole thing. I was hoping the live rat would crawl on me or something that simulates that. She then tells me your beginning to get sleepy. Then, some guy who somehow sneaked up from behind me blindfolds me, and am lead into another room. My blindfold was then taken off. I was then told to find a way out. I was confused where I am at first. I noticed a guy in the room holding a strobe light stick. I walked around the room a little, and I saw a white door. I opened it, and it looked like a short stair case that led into another dark room. I was then told by the actor with the strobe stick to kneel on the step of the staircase, climb staircase into room but don't stand up. I did those, and was in the room. The room wasn't big enough for me or the guy to stand without touching the celling. At least this guy seemed a lot nicer than the other actors I ran into. Infact I liked him the most. The actor lead me to a trapdoor within the room. He opened it and I was told to lie down in there. I did, and I have to tell you, this is no place for those who are afraid of spiders because of the smell. The trap door was shut, and I was in total darkness again. Will spiders start crawling on me?! I found out what I was actually in was a box on wheels that led me to another room. Bummer! I wanted some fake spiders crawling on me! The door opened, and I was told to get out. I was then told to crawl on the floor, and get on the chair. Here, she picks up an object with a large tong, and heats it up from a small burning torch. It looked like it gotten to an extreme temperature. She slowly walked towards me with that thing. My flesh was now exposed. I then had another mask over me from some other actor. This is the freakiest part. Whats gonna happen now?! Is my flesh gonna get burned?! Suddenly, I felt a fake stapling feel from what I assumed was an unloaded staple gun. I then was ordered to get up , and she then askes me to do another stupid task, by putting both hands behind my head as if they didn't even bother handcuffing me. Then after a few minutes, I was led out of the room, and into twists and turns. Then it felt as I am outside now. My hood was removed, and I realized its over. She then told me to run back to the lift. I jogged at first but got distracted which trail I wanted to follow back to the chairlift. She then yelled at me to run like petter rabbit. So I did as told.

That was pretty much it. All I then did was ride the chairlift back to the bottom, walked back to the place where the security guy was keeping an eye on all the valuable articles. He then handed me my valuable belongings. He asked me how was it. I gave him an honest answer, and complained about how the music from that smelly room scene made listening too difficult. I thought it was an interesting experience, but something I don't know if I wanna do again. Then was led back to the main complex. He also asked me if I was also going to do the ghoullog. I then asked him if the ghoullog comes with the cult ticket. The answer was no sadly.

Edited by SROS Master, November 12 2017, 04:45 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Sei Whale
I cant believe this video is still on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMpIMJApYGM

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · New England Parks and Attractions Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply