Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the forums for Whalom Park and the New Whalom Cooperative, LLC. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. You are welcome to read through our topics. Though as a member of our community, you'll be able to Respond to topics, voe in polls, and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom development.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Screeemfest at Canobie lake Park 09
Topic Started: October 21 2009, 01:39 PM (3,035 Views)
mrceagle
No Avatar
Sei Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
After a few missed opportunities do to weather I Finally made it to Canobie Lake Park for their Halloween Screeemfest event. Being Columbus Day and with a threat of sprinkles I was not surprised to see light crowds. I head the weekend was well attended. I arrived slightly after 5 and entered with a ticket I bought opening day. I was greeted by one of the parks Ticket takers Dressed as a bellhop. Being early in the day and reasonably bright I figured I’d explore the park and see what they have for decorations.
Posted Image Posted Image

The park had a few good set ups a small cemetery on a side path and a few props set up here and there. They are no were near as decorated at other local attraction like SFNE or LC but given it’s their second year, technically 1st, they are off to a good start.

While there for the haunts and shows primarily I did take in a few rides. All rides were set up with extra queue to handle busy days but were not needed today. Throughout my visit I went on Cannonball, Wave Blaster, Wipeout, Star blaster, Davinci’s Dream, Frisbee, and Corkscrew
Posted Image

My real reason for coming was the event attractions. The event sported 2 shows, A Monster Parade, 3 haunts, 1 family Halloween attraction and 2 Horror themed games. The park also has the Canobie Screeemfest Hearse and the Ghostbusters Ecto -1 on display. I took in the shows first.

Monster Bash - This rock review featured a full ban, drums, bass, guitar, keyboard and 2 singers. The show was good overall. One of the better shows Canobie has had. The song selection was good though I would have preferred to hear more Halloween music. While they worked the songs in well I could have done without Somebody to Love and Don't Stop Believing. Some of the Instamatics leading to the song were ea bit confusing to the song they were going to sing.

On a side not I found the lead singer to strongly resemble Meat loaf when he played Eddie in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Perhaps a Meatloaf Tribute show can be in the line up in the near future.
Posted Image

Circus of the strange – This was especially a Magic show. There was some lead in with people doing Juggling and card trick on stage and around the stage area to draw you onto the show. The show has a medieval theme with all performers in costume for the handful of tricks. Most were simple tricks but all were well presented. The quick change at the end was well done and all performers played their parks well.

Pumpkin Place - The park had this area for the kids and families. This was set up in the Canobie mall with pumpkins and hay bails everywhere. A costumed bear charters and Dorothy were there to interact with and a room of giant glowing pumpkins was set up for photo ops.

The 2 Horror themed games were:
The last ride, a simulated ride to the grave in a closed Coffin
Posted Image

The Autopsy, an full scale, lifelike game of Operation.
Posted Image

The haunts are the main attraction for the event. There were 2 indoor haunts Merriment Inc and Dead Shed that open right away and 1 outdoor haunt that opens at dusk. They were all elaborately themed and well staffed. The 2 indoor haunts were around 5 minute haunts with 6-8 performers each while the outdoor haunt was 7-8 minutes with around a dozen performers.
Posted Image

Dead Shed - The Canobie Village Butcher shop whose employees have brought their craft to an new art and obsession.

Fear Factor – 4/5 Overall ranking – 4/5
Spoiler: click to toggle

Merriment Inc - The area toy Company whose employees Dress like Clown for a frightfully good time.

Fear Factor - 4/5 Overall ranking – 5/5

The Village – The ghost of the town formally located when Canobie now stands. The closed mine and Log miss serve as reminders of this once bustling town.

Fear Factor – 2/5 Overall ranking – 3/5

Contrary to prior beliefs the Gentleman operating the photo shops is not gone form the park. He opted to stop doing the walk around photographers. He still runs the Flume photos and the Antique photo shop. For Screeemfest he had a special green screen setup when you could dress up get your picture taken with the Grim reaper and then you would be put against a special spooky background.

I took in the monster parade which takes place every night at 8:00. The Park Walk around charters, ecto-1, Hearse, 2 clown cars (painted Antique cars), and a few of the Haunt characters all get together for a trip around the park.

In all it was a fun night. I hit the 2 indoor haunts 2 times each and the Village 3 times. I got in a few rids and made a point to look at all the walk around characters. The discounted price can be brought down further with discounted coupons found at local Market Basked and McDonalds. You can also find discounts on cans of Mountain Dew, like always parking if free. If you looking for frightfully good time Canobie’s Screeemfest is worth checking out.
Edited by mrceagle, October 21 2009, 02:58 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mrceagle
No Avatar
Sei Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The park has some decorations set up.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Seems the bride and Groom from last year has started a family. The Doctor said they had a baby Ghoul.
Posted Image

They bought 3 shoulder stalkers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

the parks many walk around characters were a key part of the attraction.

Posted Image

some of my favorites:

a great costume
Posted Image

One of the most unique walk around characters I have seen.
Posted Image

My all out Favorite is this Coffin dragster.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Trip Reports · Next Topic »
Add Reply