Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and youíll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Whistler Blackcomb; The trip of a lifetime
Topic Started: March 5 2018, 01:49 AM (128 Views)
SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Many years ago back when I was really starting to get into skiing, my dad showed me a big new england ski resort called Killington. Of course I got all excited about it, and wanted to ski there. However it did take a little while before he finally took me there. Then not long after, I watched this TV show on travel channel about the worlds best ski resorts. Thats when I discovered this gigantic ski resort in British Columbia Canada, called Whistler Blackcomb. For those who don't know, it is North Americas largest ski resort. It is 8x Killingtons size, with a vertical drop equivalent to Mount Washingtons auto road. For so many years I was hoping my dad would take me there one day. I was so patently waiting for it to happen. Unfortunately, it seems that it wasn't going to happen that way. It is not at all a cheap trip, and the only time I have done a trip that required a plane flight that far out west was an amusment park trip in Southern California. Ski trips are much more expensive than an amusement park trip. It wasn't until last year I finally decided, rather than waiting for it to happen, I would spend my hard earned money and make it happen!

Whistler Blackcomb

Feburary 26-March 1st 2018.

I waited too long for this to happen, so I planned on far ahead in advance on how the trip was gonna go. I am extremely grateful my best friend was able to come along with me, along with my dad. It has also been several years since my last airplane trip. I forgotten how cramped the seats were in the economy class. It also wasn't fun going through all those security procedures.

We arrived at Vancouver airport in the afternoon. The gateway path off the plane had glass walls. I also liked the elaborate outdoor themed waterfall features as your making your way to customs. We rented a car and drove our way to our hotel. The drive through Vancouver was interesting. With a city not being nearly as big as Toronto, you would think driving wouldn't be a problem. But believe it or not, the driving was equivalent of New York City. I really liked that park you drive through right before you go over the suspended bridge. Gave a great introduction to the pacific northwest woods. The drive through sea to sky highway was also nice. Liked the combination of ocean and mountains, though it felt more like the mountains than it did the ocean. The mountains were differently beautiful, but they remind me of the White Mountains. It did have more big white peaks though. There were more pine trees, but they also were a lot taller. I also liked how the weather is also a lot milder. Theres almost no wind at the valley everyday it seems.

We finally arrived at our hotel, Coast Blackcomb Suites. I was so lucky I was able to book our room when I did, cause there was only a few rooms left(and that was way back in November by the way). One thing about this hotel is that it had one of those ski in and ski out paths where you can walk right onto the slopes from the hotel. This hotel required you to store your skis in their ski shop, so they will be ready for you when you go out to ski for the day. The room I booked said it is not a mountain view room, but there was one big mountain in view though. I was plenty happy with that.

Unfortunately, my friend wasn't feeling well that night. He wasn't even up for eating dinner that night. So just me and my dad went out to eat. There is parking at the village, but it required a small parking fee. You can pay for parking at one of the kiosks. You also have the option to download an application to pay for parking by phone(but only for select parking lots). We ate dinner at this place called Spitz grill. This place played great classic rock music. The way the ordering process works here is interesting. You first order the burger you want. Then you sit at a table, and wait for your name to be called. Once your name is called, you walk back to the food stand and turns into Subways where you choose what stuff you want on your cheeseburger. Then you go back to your table and enjoy your meal. We also stopped by at a nice looking grocery store. Liked the ski lift display on the ceiling. We bought some drinks incase we end up getting thirsty. Turned out we needed a lot more drinks than that throughout the next few days.

Day 1: I woke up to a brilliantly sunny morning. Being the first day of skiing there, I got super excited. I was even more excited to find out my friend was feeling much better. He just needed a good night sleep in order to adjust to the timezone. Its a good thing I read on tripadvisor that they do not offer enough seating during free breakfast. So I just let my dad bring waffles to our room and enjoy breakfast there instead. Waffles was pretty much all we had every day for breakfast, but they were pretty darn good ones to me. Then it was time to get our gears on. I cannot tell you the emotions I was going though at that moment. I never experienced burst of intense excitement, and worry. There were moments I thought we were gonna be a little late. When we finally were ready, I was overjoyed with excitement. We went through the ski shop, got our skis, went up the stairs that lead outside. Walked on the snowy path and put our skis on. My dad then asked me if I gave my friend his ticket. I realized I left them in our room. I remembered mine and my dads, but not my friends? So my dad went back to the room and got it. I guess thats what you get when you get that excited about something.

After that was taken care of, we finally start skiing down the trail. I cannot tell you how exciting this moment was. This was probably the most exciting part of the entire trip. There were a few times in the past I thought I was a Whistler, until I realized it was just a dream. Except that this isn't a dream. This is reality! It is a dream come true!

I was really glad our first chairlift ride, Wizard express, didn't have a line. This bubble high speed quad feels outdated compare to Sunburst Six at Okemo. As soon as we got off, we immediately went onto the next high speed quad Solar Coaster. This was a non bubble high speed quad. I was so lucky I picked this week for our trip. Not just because its the first full week the ski resort is open til 4, but according to a guy who was on the lift with us it also was one of the few weeks to have no holiday breaks. The last couple weeks were holiday breaks. One of them was Chinese new year. Then there are the March break weeks that are to come. Oh I forget to mention how great the views were, even near the base.

The top of this lift offered a great view. Liked seeing the Peak to Peak gondola. Here is where we took some pictures and videos(and I took a whole lot of them throughout this trip). We then skied down expressway. Boy what a pretty run. It was quite long too. Then was onto 7th heaven express quad. This section of Whistler was by far may favorite. Loved the view looking towards Whistler mountain, and having that tall peak overlooking the ski trails. I was originally gonna do crystal traverse to Showcase, but noticing how well groomed the trails were on 7th heaven, we decided to do a run down to the base of 7th heaven express. Besides, once we got to the top of the lift I found out the blue square run to Showcase for some reason was on experts only mode. I know this because the tunnel you normally would take to get there was blocked off.

We went down this trail called Cloud Nine, and we literally felt like we were on cloud nine. They really didnt call this section 7th heaven for nothing. By far the best run of the entire trip. Sure the grooming technically isn't quite as good as Okemos, but with how fresh and reliable the snow conditions are here I can excuse them.

When we got to the bottom of 7th heaven, there was a much bigger line than there was from earlier. Good thing we went down cloud nine when we did. After 7th heaven express quad again, we went down Green line back to the area where the top of Solar Coaster was. Boy what a nice green circle run that was. Loved the view. Then we took Jersey Cream trail to Glacier Express. Really like the top of the trail where you looking up at this big beautiful mountain. Glacier Express did not have a line, and it was a nice ride to the top. This was one of my two favorite chairlift rides here. Liked looking at the cliffs you go by. We then took Showcase T bar. This was close to being as scary as the T bar at Sugarloaf in Maine. Then we hiked to the start of Blackcomb Glacier. It was quite scary at first, until I figured out a safer and easier way to hike up. It was quite steep when your wearing just ski boots. I find the trick is to dig your front part of the ski boots to the snow, and use both your polls on your left and your skis to the right to help your balance. The hike seemed like it took anywhere between 5-10minutes. This trail was rated blue square, but I feel this should have been rated black diamond. The easiest way to start out your skiing here is to follow this narrow monorail over to the other side of the bowl/trail. If you loose balance, you may go tumbling your way down the steep moguls(unless your a really good skier of course except were really not that good at it). What made things worse was there was more than one of these narrow monorails that people follow. Half way over, the monorail you were following then gracially fades away, so I had to carefully maneuver my way over to the nearest stable monorail just to continue on. We made it though, but my dad had a particularly difficult time. The rest of the trail had more moguls, but thankfully it wasn't terribly difficult and the area was very beautiful. By the time we were near the bottom of the glacier, there was a sitting spot and we took full advantage of it. Then we skied the rest of the way down to Crystal Ridge high speed quad.

Unfortunately my dad was done for the day and I was already in line. He needed directions on how to get back to the hotel. So I had to go to the trailmap posted at the back of the queue. I had to get out of the line, but it required a hike just to get out of the line so I ducked my head and went underneath the blue rope. Unfortunately, my helmet got stuck. Thankfully my friend helped me out and my helmet got unstuck. Then when I finally arrived at the trailmap and explained how to get back, some guy was whistling at me, trying to get my attention. I ignored him thinking he was whistling at someone else close to us, or he was just being weird. So after I gave my dad directions, who then went back to the hotel, it was just me and my friend skiing for the rest of the day. Before we hopped on the Crystal Ridge express quad, I reached for my goggles. But I didn't feel them. Thats when I realized I lost them. The blue rope somehow attached onto the strap than held my goggles in place and the goggles snapped off once my helmet was free(how my friend didn't pick up on that was beyond me). The guy probably found it and way trying to return it to me. I felt so stupid for not listening to him. Hell he didn't even say anything other than just whistling. My friend had a theory that he didn't speed English. It seems there are people who come from all over the world just to ski here.

There could be worse bad news than that. It was at least sunny and pleasant out. I could have been snowing with some strong winds. The ride up Crystal Ridge express was still very nice. The next run we did, Crystal Road, I didn't have a problem without goggles. Parts of that trail were very nice. Then was up Jersey Cream express back to the area where the top of Solar express quad is. We then took the Peak to peak gondola to Whistler. This was probably the fastest lift I have ever been on. It at first felt ridiculously fast when leaving the terminal. Once we were heading over the big valley it felt slower. This was surely one of my all time favorite ski lifts. Loved the view all around. By this point, the higher peaks were starting to get into the clouds. Once we arrived at Whistler mountain, we walked over to the big lodge, roundhouse lodge, to see if I could get myself a new pair of goggles. The good news was they do have goggles. The bad news was they were ridiculously expensive. So I called my dad to let him know I lost my goggles and that I needed a new pair. Thankfully he offered to let me use his for the time being and we would get new goggles once our day is over. So we then skied down pony tail and crabapple to the bottom of the mountain. Really enjoyed that run. Then up stage 1 of Excalibur gondola and skated our way to the hotel. Then went back on the slopes once I got those goggles. Back up Wizard express, Solar express, and peak to peak to Whistler. Then we went over to the bottom of Peak express. There was a sign warning you about the risks when skiing up there, such as strong winds and low visibility. Despite that the top was in the clouds, we went up that lift. The wind was picking up a bit as we were going up. It was scary, yet exciting at the same time getting into the clouds. The top had limited visibility, but at least there was enough so you can see the marks knowing where your going. It was windy, but nowhere near at the level where I would feel like I am about to get blown off. We went down the easiest way cause I just wanted to get out of there. It was still an interesting run. We then took Emerald express back to Peak to Peak, and took peak to peak back to Blackcomb. Then we skied over a slightly differently way back to Glacier express. Once we were atop Glacier express, we then went down Crystal traverse. Another nice run, and I liked the flurries that was starting to occur offering an interesting natural scene. I also liked those rocks to our right that looked kinda like the old man of the mountains. We then skied down ridge runner and skied down some random trails back to the hotel. Part of the green line trail near the bottom where it would go away from the main trails for a bit was particularly pretty.

Wow what a day that was! I cant tell you how long its been since I have been that excited about something in one single day. We then went to a local ski shop and got new pair of goggles for much less than over at the roundhouse lodge.

Later in the evening we went to dinner at Kegs. This is the second time I ate at a Kegs restaurant. I really liked the view of Whistlers slopes from the table we were at. It is the most middle of the road restaurant I ate at thus far. I liked their bread and butter, and like the scallops and bacon for appetizer. I also enjoyed the steak with bleu cheese. I almost regretted not having the 10oz version, but was glad I didn't cause I also then had the ice cream cake for dessert.

One more thing I forgot to mention is that our hotel also had an outdoor heated pool and 2 hot tubs. So thats what we did after dinner. Boy it felt so good to be swimming outside at a ski resort for the very first time. It was also nice switching back to the pool from the spa and back to the spa every now and then. There were times in the past where I would see a ski hotel in New England where they had an outdoor heated pool and spa and wanted to stay there just to do that. But it was a good thing I didn't and saved that kind of hotel experience for an epic ski trip like Whistler.

Stay tuned for part 2.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Day 2:

The day started out cloudy. We went up Wizard, Solar, and Peak to Peak. First we skied down upper Franz. This trail did have some moguls. Unfortunately my dad was already wiped out for the day by the time we were done with this run. Evidently hes still recovering from our run down Blackcomb Glacier. So we then skied down to Whistler village. Gave my dad directions back to the hotel from there, and my friend and I continued our day from there. We were gonna do whistler gondola next, but after looking at the line we went on Fitzsimmons high speed quad, located right next to Whistler Village Gondola. It only went up to near the gondolas mid station. Still a pretty ride. Next we went on Garbanzo express quad. A steeper and prettier ride, but it didn't go all the way to the top of the gondola. It did came close though. Then we went down papoose and bear cub green circle runs. Bear cub had a very pretty section. Then took pony tail the rest of the way to Big Red Express. The ride up that lift was nice. By this point the clouds were starting to lift up from the high peaks a bit. Then we skied our way over to the Whistler T bar, located near Peak express quad. The T bars were more spread out than Showcase, but the ride up was also similarly steep, maybe a little bit more. I wish I payed more attention to the signs at the top, cause I let go of the T bar before it reached the bullwheel. You were suppose to let go of the T bar after it turned around from the bull wheel. Oh well, no on got hurt and we will know for next time. We then headed our way to Ridge Run. One problem with this place is that sometimes there signs arnít always clear. There was a sign that pointed straight to the blue square run, but there was another sign that points left to a black diamond run. There was this straight path, then turns left going up to the top of the ridge. I was confused if that was blue ridge run, or if the path leading to blue ridge run was closed. It was also fairly windy on the ridge we were on. So we went back to the top of the T bar and went down a green circle run instead, called pikas traverse. What a fantastic green run that was. Liked the little bumps and the view of the Harmony ridge area. Then we went down G.S. One of the harder blue square runs. Steep and some moguls. By this time I was feeling good about heading up Harmony Ridge six pack. But once we got there, there was a flashing yellow light meaning the terrain up there is suitable for experts only for the day. I am guessing its due to the high winds. Reluctantly, we headed our way back to whistler village and decided to save that for another day. Better safe than sorry.

Next we went on Excalibur Gondola and did the full ride to the top. The mid station reminded me of Skyeship gondola at Killington. For some reason I wasn't able to see Wizard express when we went over it. I think it was because by the time I thought to look for it, it was too late. It was much easier seeing the gondola from Wizard express. Next was Excelerator express quad. Another nice lift. Next we skied down some random runs I cant recall if we been down before or not, over to Glacier express quad. Then up Showcase T bar again, but this time we skied down Showcase(the run thats right next to the lift). Then we revisited Crystal ridge trail and went down some random runs we haven't done yet. Then back up Glacier express, but this time we went down Blue Line trail. Another great run. Didnt think it was quite as nice as Crystal ridge trail though. Then went down a few other trails I cant recall if I skied down or not. Then we went up Jersey Cream express again. Then we went down this green circle trail called 7th avenue. Wow that was a surprisingly nice green circle run. Great views of Whistler mountain. Then we went up 7th heaven express for the final run of the day. Oh my goodness the natural scenery was unreal. There was a mix of clouds, flurries, and sun. The clouds were just overcast enough that you can make out the mountains. We went down Cloud Nine once again. At one point I even went off trail a bit heading towards that big peak and experienced some wild natural powder before heading back onto the main trail. We also took a slightly different way back to the base of 7th heaven. Then we went down Sunset Boulevard. This is probably my favorite green circle run ever. I love the scenery and the view of the valley at the point where you go underneath Peak 2 Peak gondola. Then we did lower gear jammer for the last run of the day. It started out a bit bumpy, but then turned into a great cruiser run. One of the best cruiser runs I have done for sure.

Man my legs were pretty burned out. This was a good time to do another pool and spa run. Then, it was time for the most anticipated dinner time of the trip. Araxi! I can not tell you how fortunate we are to have our table reserved when we did. Cause I read somewhere that this place is hard to get reservations. Well, that is if you don't reserve your table as early as one month in advance or more. I liked their bread and butter. Had raw tuna for appetizer. Had some kind of fish for the maincourse, but cant remember what it was called. It was decent though. I also had the black forest cake for dessert. It was delicious mostly because of the cherry. I say the food quality was on par with Burlington Massachusetts top restaurants like La donnas, or Capitol Grille. However though, the decore and atmosphere was more on par with Cheesecake Factory(though not quite as load and a little fancier). The price was also on par with New York City fine dining. Oh well, this was still easily the best restaurant your gonna get at a ski resort.

Day 3: We decided to do something a little different this morning. Instead of going to Wizard express first, we went up the beginner triple next to it. Then we took the green trail that led us to Whistler Village gondola. The line had a good half hour wait it seemed, but giving that this was the least reliable weather day of the trip it wasn't a big deal. I liked the big screen that was on display once you got into the building, hyping people up for the ski experience thats to come. The gondola station reminded me of Loon mountains gondola. It was also a nice ride up the gondola. The mid station for some reason reminds me of going through a car wash. Because it was a day with snowfall, we didn't get much views from the gondola today. Once we got to the top, it was quite breezy. We then went down Upper whiskey jack. Then went down bear cub all the way to the bottom. Now the trail map says Bear Cub ends past Big Red express, but it actually turns out that it ends right before Big Red express. So you could still get to big red even though the sign said to go on pony trail and not continue down Bear cub. Next we went down cross roads. What a surprisingly nice run. For some reason the trail report said they don't groom this run, yet it actually is. Really liked the view off the cliff underneath Creekside gondola. There was still a clearing at the valley but it didn't look like it would last for long. I am glad the rest of the trail heading down lower franz was groomed. For some reason this section of whistler reminds me a bit of Stratton. Maybe its because of the condos near the trail? My first time at Stratton was also a snowy and viewless day. Unfortunately just as we were about to approach the bottom of the run, my dad called me and said hes done for the day. At this point I am convinced that this place is too much for him. Maybe hes still recovering from Blackcomb glacier? Thankfully he knows his way back to the hotel this time.

So now its just me and my friend. We went up Creekside gondola. It was the first and probably only time I have ridden a gondola that holds 6 people rather than 4, or 8. Liked the design of the seats though. Then up Big Red express. By the time we reached the top of this lift, the wind really started to pick up. So that was a good call to head over to Peak to Peak and head over to Blackcomb. I also couldn't believe Harmony Ridge and Peak express were open today despite this weather. All though Peak express did go on wind hold later in the day. Since there was virtually no one in line, and the next cabin with the glass floor was just 4 minutes away, we decided to do the glass floor cabin for this ride. The ride out was pretty scary with the howling wind, but we made it out. The glass floor didn't really make much of a difference, since most of the scenery is happening on the exterior windows. Not to mention you can already pretty much see the bottom of the valley from the windows anyway. Still glad we checked this cabin out just to say we did. Blackcomb mountain seemed less windy than Whistler. Then again, Whistler is more exposed to the elements than Blackcomb. Then we skied over to Crystal ridge express, via crystal glide, and went up Crsytal Ridge express. Crystal glide was a nice trail. Then over to Glacier Express. It was nice being on top of that lift while there was still some amount of visibility. We also went down Twist and shout back to Blackcomb glacier road. Then up Excelerator express, and over to Jersey Cream express. Then we went down these serious of blue square runs that lead us to Whistler Village. Cant remember the exact sequence but here are the names of the runs that I can recall seeing while skiing down. Cruiser, Honeycomb, and Stoker.

Next, we went up Whistler Village gondola once again. The line was much shorter this time. This time they made up put our skies in the gondola. It must be due to the high winds. It really was getting windy at the top of the gondola. We then went down Marmot. Half way down, the wind really kicked up and we got some serious turbulence. It wasn't enough to knock me over, but it was pretty serious. Then up Emerald Express. Then we skied down Ego bowl and Enchanted forest. I guess you could say it was quite enchanting. Then we went to the beginner triple chair near Whistler Village gondola mid station. We only did this for both the credit, and a good long break. Then was onto the Garbanzo express. Once we were at the top, we skied down Orange peel, a part of Upper Dave Murray down hill, and Tokum. Then up Excalibur gondola, Excelerator express. Then we skied though some more trails on that part of Blackcomb that either we haven't tried yet, or dont remember if we did that part. One trail I know we haven't been down for sure was a part of the green line trail. It was one of those pretty sections I wasn't expecting. We were gonna continue one green line to Solar Coaster, but got impatient and went down Espresso, forgetting that you do not return to Solar coaster. Oh well, we then went up Wizard and Solar coaster express quads. Then we did easy out over to Catskinner triple, the last chairlift ride of the day. For some reason the terrain park is called Nintendo. Are they trying to attract video game players into becoming terrain park goers? Then we went down easy out again, but then turned onto countdown and racer alley. Then took the green line trail throughout most of the way down. I definitely remembered we went down School Marm near the bottom. For some reason there was a good stretch of scraped snow. Thankfully the scraped snow hear isn't nearly as bad as what you find at the new england resorts.

Once we were done for the day, we had dinner at this placed called Peaked Pie. It was a cute little place with only three tables, each having three seats. Thankfully there was only one group using one of the tables. So we decided to eat here. The pies also smelled good. It was like Thanksgiving dinner. I had the steak and bacon peaked. Peaked meaning they would give you peas, gravy, and I am guessing mashed potato's. It was pretty darn good stuff. We also had their cinamon rolls for dessert. They were the best rolls I have ever had. They even surpassed Cinabons believe it or not. Then it was pool and spa time once again. There were more people here than the last couple times due to the heavy amount of snow falling. This was a unique experience were probably never gonna experience again.

Stick around for the third and final part.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Day 4:

We woke up to promisingly clear skies, but then turned into mix of clouds and sun. At least there was no serious wind today. Because this was a true powder day, there was a long line at Wizard Express. We waited for what seemed like 45 minutes. Then waited for another 10 minutes for Solar Coaster. Then was over to 7th heaven express. The lift was closed, but it was in the progress of getting open. Because of the heavy snowfall from yesterday, all the alpine lifts were opening later than usual to clear off avalanches. Infact I heard a lot of banging from the avalanche missiles they were launching. The lift finally opened at around 10:20am, and we went onto the lift. Always nice being at the 7th heaven area. I am not use to skiing on powder this deep. Of course my dad was done for the day. Thankfully he has a trailmap with him this time so he knew where to go. Then my friend and I went back up 7th heaven express. Then down the green line for an easier way over to Peak to Peak gondola. It was still hard at a few spots due to the sudden density of powder.

We then went on Whistler T bar, and went down Harmony Piste to Harmony six pack. Some firm bumps, but I also skied down on some unreal deep powder. The most unreal deep powder skiing of my life. At times the snow went above the top of my skiboots. Then we went down Lower Ratfink and marmot to Harmony ridge 6 pack. No blinking lights and the weather was good. So up we go. It was nice finally riding this lift after a couple days of iffy weather. We first went down Harmony ridge trail. It was such a good idea I decided not to do this trail on day 1. Otherwise we would be missing out these views. Parts of it were groomed, and some other parts had some moguls. It seems on these powder days, they purposely don't groom as much trails to take advantage of all this powder. Then up Harmony 6 pack again. This time we went down Burnt Stew trail. I really wish they would make the signs more clear. Rather than having a blue square rated trail to burnt stew and a green circle run to the saddle, why not just say the blue square trail is a short cut to Burnt Stew, and the trail to the saddle is an easier way to burnt stew.

Much nicer than when we did this trail in the clouds. The view was not bad at all. Then we went down a blue square trail that lead us to the bottom of Symphony Express. Once again, all bumps on this trail. It then did something interesting. The trail turned left , and strarted to go in a straight flat line and turned into a narrower trail made by the many skiers who came by here. Then we started seeing glades, and signs telling you about deer and wildlife in this area. Did we just enter a glades skiing area without any warning?! So we just followed the widest trail I can find. Turns out it was a ski trail environment that is somewhere in between glades skiing and regular skiing. It was 2 or 3 separate smaller trails with glades wide enough for skiers to go through.

We made it to Symphony Express. There was a warning sign about how long the hike takes for the average skier to get to the flute bowl from the top of this lift. Well this was the last operating lift we ridden throughout this ski trip. The only two lifts that weren't running were Horstman T bar, and Franz triple chair. I don't count any of the magic carpets, or rope tows as legit ski lift credit. We went down the only direct way back to the bottom of Harmony 6 pack. There was also a green circle run near the top of symphony express that I didn't know at all about. So that was nice. The whole run after that green run had natural snow and bumps, but at this point I was starting to get use to it.

After we returned to the top of Harmony 6 pack, we went to The saddle. This was rated as a blue square trail. But little did we realize that this would be the hardest run of this trip. It was steep and with firm moguls. Blue Square run? YEAH RIGHT! At least the moguls were not at all icy. It was still not nearly as nasty as my run down Chin Clip at Stowe. The views were outstanding though.

Next was a revisit up Peak Express quad. We finally got a better view up here, including the black tusk.
The last major new run of this trip was Peak to creek trail and Highway 87. I was originally thinking about of skiing the entire peak to creak trail, but a guy who was with us from one of our peak to peak gondola rides warned how bumpy that trail can be. We then started going down Upper Peak to Creek trail. The flatter parts of this trail didn't have moguls, bu the steeper parts did. The views were also great. Thank goodness we did not do this trail from day 1 with those clouds. Next came the most confusing intersection I have ever seen. The signs were so poorly thought out. It showed two blue square runs. One pointing straight, and one pointing slightly to the left. To make matters more confusing, the trail heading straight looked like it turned into one of those herdpaths where select number of skiers would follow, which could end up leading to an extreme natural experts only ski path. I was going to stay to the right, knowing that there were blue square marks to the right of the trail from earlier. But then I spotted a sign that said turning right will lead you to a black diamond trail. Yikes! I really am at the mercy of trusting the signs at this point. I even asked a random skier how to get to Highway 86. Unfortunately she was in the same boat as I was. So I really didn't have a choice but to listen to my guts. So we decided to follow straight onto that herdpath looking part of the trail. I can at least rely on the ski boundary zone signs to the left. Then the trail split in two, so I went to the right and went down a steep bumpy part that led back onto the main trail. Eventually I saw another set of signs. This time it was much more clear where to go. I also got to see the beginning of lower peak to creek. It didn't look anything particularly interesting to me. Highway 86 looked more interesting, and it was a beautiful trail too. It would have been a lot more helpful if those signs at that really confusing intersection instead had two signs rather than three. The black diamond sign pointing to the right, and the blue square sign pointing straight saying to both peak to creek and highway 86. Oh well, at least we made it out alive. And again, it was such a good thing we didn't go down that trail when it was in the clouds. Who knows how much trouble we would have been in.

I felt so accomplished at this point. I practically got to do everything I wanted to do throughout our stay here. So for the remainder of the day we went up big red, and ridden peak to peak gondola for one final time. It always has fantastic views each time we had ridden it. Then a ski run down to Jersey Cream for one final chairlift ride of the day, and we went down 7th avenue and Sunset Boulevard for one final run of the day. The only thing about this run was on green line near the bottom of that trail had some moguls too, and I think that section should have had a blue square rating.

We then had one final dinning experience at Whistler village, at a place called La Cantina. They are known for their tacos. So I opted for 4 tacos with chicken. We also had chips with guacamole for appetizer. They were good mexican food, but I had better examples though. We then dipped into the pool and spa for one final time. It was also a beautiful evening out. I liked seeing the partial view of the white covered trees reflecting in the sun. Boy I am sure gonna miss this pool and spa experience.

I can not tell you how grateful I am for this trip. It was absolutely worth every singe penny I spent on. As of the overall ski experience, do I think this place deserves its reputation? It certainly did meet my expectations, and they were set fairly high. I will say the lower half of the mountain did exceed my expectations. I had no idea the views would still be spectacular even that far down. Even some of the trails that far down went way beyond my expectations. I was also surprised how nice the views still were even on cloudier days. The only time we really didn't have much of a view was on day 3 when the snowstorm was really starting to pick up.

So is this my new favorite ski resort? Absolutely. Granted I grew up with skiing at new england ski resorts like Killington, or Okemo with their top notch grooming and cruiser trails. But I have never skied on natural snow conditions that reliable before. I was pleasantly surprised how even the scraped parts were still not that icy. I cannot tell you how much I am used to dealing with icy scraped parts on many of new englands more popular ski trails. Particularly on the weekends when a mobful of people ski or snowboard their way down a single trail.

Being that this is my first time skiing anywhere out west, I am sure there are a few ski areas I may perfur over this place. Infact I read on tripadvisor that one guy perfurs Big Sky Montana and Squaw Valley in California. I can understand that because Whistler can have extremely long lines. Goes to show that everyone has a different opinion. And no matter how perfect you may make a single resort, it will never be universally loved. Regardless though, I am super happy this trip finally happened. And it happened exactly how I wanted it to happen. I dont think this trip could have gone more perfectly. This will be a trip that will stick to my memories for a very long time.

Unfortunately I have yet to figure out a legit way to post any pictures or videos I took, but in the mean time enjoy a couple really well done Whistler videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMMFVBbj4d0&t=0s&index=357&list=LL-wDGaMZlE-Q6CzI-HaPzKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVBvjjHYAaA&list=LL-wDGaMZlE-Q6CzI-HaPzKw&index=574&t=0s
Edited by SROS Master, March 5 2018, 07:02 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
wow that's quite a trip. The videos make the place look amazing. I hope your pictures and videos show the same. I still say check out Twitter simple to use and you can upload 4 photos at a time when you post. video you'd need to sue you tub or a similar sharing option.

The dinning options sound like fun. I like the build a burger idea and seems more sanitary then a build your own bar seen at places like Fudruckers. I laughed a bit that you went to a place with Pie in the name and had a cinnamon roll. I mean it has pie in the name.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Not sure if I wanna go through the trouble of signing up on Twitter just to post a few pictures. I will see if I can find a way to post one picture here from some other way.

I donít think any of my videos are nearly as good as those two videos.

They had dessert pies, but none of them looked anywhere near as delicious as their cinnamon roll. After all cinnamon rolls are also baked goods.
Edited by SROS Master, March 8 2018, 03:27 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I possibly would have gone with the Cinnamon roll my self. just laughed when I read that.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Here is a more interactive version of this trip report.

Here are a series of these amazing ski lift videos made from ski usa, in the order we have done throughout the trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzld6Pr7W4k

The hotel you see at 1:27 was where we stayed at.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMRnkGw0tTg

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOrR0ckPqQY

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Wow, wonderful views. very nice lift systems.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah Whistler does have the largest ski lift system in North America. After all, it is North Americas largest ski resort. That last one I posted, 7th heaven, is probably my favorite chairlift ride in the world.

And now, the next lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRfcFp0zPIw

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2nPNiCYpuw&t=0s&index=246&list=WL

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYNQv6Mtkd0

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zP28QOnxjU

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Not made by Ski usa, but this is the next lift we done after Jersey Cream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRHocGASQtw&t=436s

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJcTTAxH1E

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FuSqUhE0cE

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH_IxHrbaJw&index=246&list=LL-wDGaMZlE-Q6CzI-HaPzKw&t=519s

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYhGm-mXu94

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa7Guvikdok

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu3EThN1Fc0&index=185&list=WL&t=0s

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAbpwZf0VV8&t=0s&list=WL&index=183

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY2KhVwzw68

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Ob1tnzEfo

The cabins may be dated, but this is the only uphill winter ride I can find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLMWV9WzfIw

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5cIFpjLJqw&t=283s&index=179&list=WL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGHhFxzMpgU&list=WL&index=212&t=161s

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYv4WCzBE48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk3mvhcZkYE&t=288s

Only one more ski lift to go!

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Now. The final lift!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aW7ty7oqew

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Trip Reports · Next Topic »
Add Reply