Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and youíll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Public transporation
Topic Started: March 3 2018, 01:08 AM (90 Views)
SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here is where you can discuss about public transportation. Whether its trains, planes, or buses(though I perfur talking about trains).

United airlines decided to pull a dirty trick on everyone returning to the northeast corridor(including myself). Instead of canceling the flight and rebooking us for tomorrow, they decided to wait til Monday(without even giving any free hotel room deals). So we have no choice but to ride this out.

Do you think this is the end of United airlines?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Well it turns out United just gave us a last minute deal this morning, and our flight will not be delayed for 3 days after all.

I dont know why United likes to lie to their customers. ^o)

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
United has one of the worse reputations when it comes to airlines.

I was wondering how the airline were rated and found a list on MSN
Allegiant
Spirit
United
American
Hawaiian
Virgin America
Jet Blue
Alaska
Delta
Southwest

New England has 4 major airports and a handful of Smaller airports with only a few airlines. airports.
the 4 biggest are:
Logan International (Boston, MA) - 49 Airlines
Bradley Intermational (Windser Locks CT) - 13 airlines
T.F. Green (Warwick, RI) - 14 Airlines
Manchester Boston Regional Airport (Manchester, NH) - 4 Airlines
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
While we were stuck in the Chicago area for a full day, we decided to take a fun train ride to the Musiem of Science and Industry. The speed of teh subway ride I felt was inconsisent. At times it would go as slow as a turtle, but other times it would go lightning quick. The system sure is nicer than Bostons, but Boston had the better stations and better sounding trains(along with a nicer sounder auto announcer). It was also interesting that it would skip a few stops at certain times when a flashing light is on. That is something Boston should considering doing to improve capacity during rush hour.

We also took a short commuter rail ride to get to the nearest station to the Museum. I have been in that Museum once before, but not since I was a kid. Some things I remember seeing, and some other things I donít recall. Some other stuff I knew wern't there before and some other stuff I remembered seeing before but are no longer there. We also went through some sections I donít recall going through before(this is a big museum).

Now if only the Bingham fountain was running we would have stayed at Downtown Chicago a little longer.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
probably a bit too cold for a fountain to be running.

I have only ridden on 3 subway systems. Boston, Manhattan, and DC. DC was far superior but i agree the old school artsy stations in Boston are very cool. Manhattan also had some nice stations but it was strange heading out of the city into Brooklyn and converting to an elevated rail. Boston I haven't used since the 90's and the system was having electrical issues that day. Train would slow, lights would dim, it was like a bad horror movie.
Edited by SROS Master, March 9 2018, 02:38 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah I use to ride the Boston subway alot when I was a kid. Just for fun. And then explore certain parts of downtown Boston. The stretch on the Red Line from Alewife to Harvard use to spook me as a kid. Because that was the one section where something always went wrong. Like with the auto announcer announcing the wrong station. Or when the train would have lights go out.

NYC has hands down the best Subway and Commuter Rail system in North America. Metro North/Long Island Railroad certainly is the best commuter rail system I have ridden, but the subway trains can be a mix. Some are nicer than others, but others are not as nice. The PATH subway that goes into Newark from Manhatten is also very nice. Certainly the nicest subway ride in the NYC area. The World Trade Center subway station is hands down the nicest I have ever seen. Fulton Streets subway station is also nice(though can be difficult to navigate if your trying to switch to another line).

DC's is nice. The problem is the acceleration and deceleration is wildly inconsistent. I also dont feel the subway is really that necessary for DC. But I guess it is legit for them as long as they keep their kiosks as confusing and complex as possible to grab money out of your pocket.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I don;t recall having any issues getting around DC. We stayed at a KOA in Maryland and took the train in to the city. then took the subway to get to attractions further out like The national Zoo and Arlington cemetery. if your goal is to just do the main museums then the subway is a bit pointless for you and if your looking to see the Air and Space hanger they operate a shuttle bus.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
True. We really only did the museums when we revisited there via car. I am not familiar with the national Zoo. I wonder if the presidents hair is now one of the featured exhibits.

Also there is a private owned rain company that recently opened their brand new train system called Brightline. https://gobrightline.com/

Here is the most interesting thing about this project that makes me feel more optimistic about the future of Americas rail system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jlp4OLK36U&t=0s&list=WL&index=9
Edited by SROS Master, March 10 2018, 05:50 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
That bike rack on the train is really cool and really like the

I like the idea of developing housing and commercial around the stations.

Now the fairs are my issue. now they seem comparable if I remember right to the Boston express buss line. now it's good if your single and traveling alone but one you add a second person it costs you more.Now if they can do solid developments they should be able to supplement the income for the developments to keep fairs low.

He questions a Cafe car. but I could see them Six Flagging this and renting out the cafe car to Dunkn or Star bucks.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
^They are still experimenting what the right price level will be.

Also a warning to anyone considering using American Airlines. I donít ever recall using American Airlines ever, and thanks to this video I am glad I didnít, and possibly never will use this airline in my life.

Caution! Some legit swearing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ldyBd0CaA
Edited by SROS Master, March 19 2018, 04:37 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epd3j2DWWYU&list=WL&index=2

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
That's quite the project.

interesting that your previous post is about American airlines. The news today was talking about American airlines signing on to be the second major Airline to fly out of the air port in Worcester ma.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Caution. This video made include some swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtVy1oAVzlo&list=WL&index=1&t=0s

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
wow, that's quite the experience. stinks he had that many issues. While I don't recall hearing any issues liek that on train in the US. separation of class is the basis of air travel.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I do agree with the guy that economy should have better treatment. You pay for what seat/sleeping option you pick, not for how you get treated. I can understand certain aspects to why they wont let economy class walk though the train, but there should be certain exceptions. Not just for dinner reservations.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
They do seem to be going overboard.

I wonder how others feel Only reviews I can find on Google are for specific stations and they are al positive. Maybe the ones reviewing are paying for better seats.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I would do it, but only on sleeper class one trip for just a one time thing. If they are going to treat economy class like garbage, then they may as well convert it into yet another sleeper class and,or get rid of economy class completely.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
My guess is the economy class is set up for those looking to go form one city to the next. It was really never intended to be taken across the country.
Edited by SROS Master, April 15 2018, 12:45 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah but that isnít going to stop some people from traveling cross country in economy. Its much cheaper and some donít mind sleeping on a seat. So its still no excuse to treat them like that.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I get your point. I get his frustration but From what I saw this is set up like an airplane. First class is first class. economy is economy. I agree it's not right. anyone should be able to use the dinning car. maybe restrict times to ease traffic. I have only been a long hawl train ride once and commutter raisl so I can't compare any of my US trips to this. but I do know that when My parents have taken cruses they have had some restricted access to parts of the ship.

one thing to not is he talked about restriction but there were a lot of shots of the train form the observation car.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Except that its not an airplane. Do you see Airplanes set up like a train ride? The airplane I can understand the restriction due to limited space, and how much faster the ride time is. But the ride on a train is alot longer and you may wanna do alot more exploring to pass some time and enjoy yourself. Like he said in the video, the train is not meant to go from point a to point b, but rather the enjoyment of the ride.

I also havenít done an overnight train ride, but maybe one day I will. I donít ever plan on doing a cruise ship. I would hate to be stuck at a place where I may end up not enjoying that much and cant get away from it. Also ships are 3x bigger than a train, so its a ok to have some restricted areas.

P.S. You also may outta restate your last sentence there. Cant make out what your trying to say.
Edited by SROS Master, April 15 2018, 06:15 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
The majority of the ship is open. I Think at most the dinning car and observation cars should have been open.

I found thins about VIA on Wiki
Travelling on Via

Travel on Via varies by region as much as class. Many of Via's policies and protocols are the product of running a national train system with varying pressures and needs of different passengers, communities, and contexts. The results are wide-ranging travel experiences depending on the distance and location of the journey.

Classes of service
Economy: Economy class seating in coach cars. Passengers are not always assigned specific seats, and are usually segregated into specific train cars according to passenger destination. Snacks and beverages are sold by employees with service carts or in a Restaurant car. Free Wi-Fi access is provided in the Corridor and on the Ocean. All Corridor trains, with the exception of trains 650 and 651, have assigned seating.
Business: First-class seating available on most Corridor trains in southern Quebec and Ontario. Business Class offers passengers individually reserved seats, more spacious seating, window blinds, inclusive hot three-course meals complete with complimentary wine and liqueurs, in-seat AC power outlets, and free Wi-Fi access. Business Class passengers are also granted priority boarding and access to Business Lounges at major urban stations.
Touring: Available on the Jasper Ė Prince Rupert train only in peak travel months. Includes three meals per day, wine with supper, on-train commentary from the staff, and guaranteed access to the Panoramic and Park cars.
Sleeper Plus: Sleeping accommodations aboard overnight trains. This service class was formerly known as Sleeper in some cases, including on the now-suspended MontrealĖGaspť train. Available on the Canadian, Ocean and Winnipeg-Churchill trains. Options for this class on the Canadian include berth sections and single, double and triple bedrooms with bunkbeds and electrical outlets. On other trains, not all options are available. Also included are first-class meals in the dining car, and access to the "Skyline" car and viewing salons in the glass-domed "Park" car, when available. Passengers are also given priority boarding and access to the Panorama Lounges at major urban stations. Each car has access to a washroom and, optionally, a shower. Access to Business Lounges where available or the Sleeper Plus lounge in Halifax is available on departure day.
Prestige: Via's latest premium service offering available on the Canadian only. In addition to the Sleeper Plus amenities, includes modernized luxurious sleeping accommodations at the rear of the train, priority reservations in the dining car, a concierge, complimentary beverages (including alcohol), and schedule permitting, a free tour of select Winnipeg attractions. Access to Business Lounges is provided on both arrival and departure days in Toronto and Vancouver.
Edited by SROS Master, April 15 2018, 06:37 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
To talk a bit about local Public Transportation the T is offering a $20 dollar day pass on the line that runs along the Boston Marathon wrought.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
That is cool news. Also by 2019, the red and orange line trains will be replaced with these brand new ones that will made the ride alot nicer.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Those lines need it badly.

A Shuttle for spacial events can be a good thing. The RI air shows works out a deal for a free shuttle from the city to the Kingston Air National guard base. The move is to reduce car traffic to outside visitors. works great I always get in and out of the event easily and a lot of locals use the train.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Oh definitely. Theres even a few special commuter rail stops for professional football games.

Some good news, and one minor bad news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDjPhUmkPVU

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ClxlFKOvl0&index=26&list=WL

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Very nice. Like the look a lot. can't wait to see these running.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Everything Else · Next Topic »
Add Reply