Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and youíll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Toy's R Us/Babys R Us closing 14 iNew England Locations
Topic Started: January 24 2018, 07:34 PM (94 Views)
Newsies
Member Avatar
Dolphin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Toy's R Us has declared bankruptcy and will in response close 182 stores nation wide. New England will be impacted by the move. 14 locations will close over the next few months. The company also plans to re-brand some Babie's R us locations to Toy's R Us locations.

Local stores closing

Toys R Us (TRU) Baby's R US(BRU)

CONNECTICUT
North Haven, 376 North Universal Drive (TRU)
Waterbury, 275 Union St. (TRU/BRU)
Newington, 3491 Berlin Turnpike (TRU)
Manchester, 169 Hale Road (BRU)

MAINE
Bangor, 6 Bangor Mall Blvd. (TRU)
Portland, 200 Running Hill Road (BRU)

MASSACHUSETTS
Dedham, 302 Providence ? (TRU or BRU)
Millbury, 70 Worcester Providence Tpk/Rt 146 (BRU)
Holyoke, 50 Holyoke Street (BRU) Express Holyoke Mall
Bellingham, 217 Hartford Ave. (TRU)
Northborough, 6110 Shops Way (TRU)
Framingham, Shoppers World Plaza,1 Worcester Road ? (TRU or BRU) Shopper's World Plaza

NEW HAMPSHIRE
Nashua, 29 Gusabel Avenue (BRU) Nashua Mall

RHODE ISLAND
Warwick, 300 Quaker Lane (BRU)

VT's only Toy's R us in Williston is safe for now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SilverLugia456
No Avatar

Well now things have taken a turn for the worst. Apparently now Toys R Us is bankrupting and closing all of it's stores. At least that is what I have been seeing now. They could start closing them as early as next week some reports are giving.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's sad. they are filing for liquidation which allows them to simply shut down or sell what they want to cover debt. My hope, though I expect, will happen is a partial sale. The company is a bit too big. but, if a company can come in buy the most profitable 25 to 50% of the chain and restructure. The name recognition is fantastic but their business model has been flawed for more then a decade.

Chair Scott
No Avatar

Stopped in the Leominster MA store last night (Saturday 3/17/18). They are finished in 58 days and any gift cards or special offers will be finished in 3 days. Truly sad day to be a kid.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
^Wait, your still a kid?! Haha joking!

Its always sad hearing a store, or any place, having to close for good.

Chair Scott
No Avatar

Arnt we all "Young At Heart"?

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I suppose so. There are certain stuff we grew up as kids that we still love as an adult. I also had some fond memories going to the Toys r us in Nashua as a kid. It was the equivalent of going on the internet and finding out cool new stuff of that time.

I even remembered visiting the Toys r us in Times Square Manhatten(which I donít think is there anymore). They had a cool ferris wheel that was 2 or 3 stories tall. It was weird yet interesting going up and down and side to side so close to those floors, almost as if you were riding the wonkavator.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I find this news sad. I always liked Toys R us but to be honest found myself buying toys at Walmart of Target to save a couple bucks. They had premium toys that deserved a premium price but for some reason they felt the toys that could be found anywhere should have the same premium pricing.

I'll Always be a Toy-R-us Kid and hope that through the liquidation they find a buyer that will keep at least part of the company going.

KateWhip
Member Avatar
Sand Shark
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't know what to think about this. I never shop at the store it's a bit pricey and I don't have any kids to shop for. But there are just some stores you expect to always be there. How can you not remember the jingle and Jerry the Giraffe on TV when you were little.

But I guess Toys-R-Us will vanish and go the way of KB Toy Story and Child World.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iNOnd3howw&t=0s&index=33&list=WL

Chair Scott
No Avatar

That's a truly sad story! Too bad there wasn't a way to save them from their demise.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Interesting but I doubt it's that simple. I really only know one person that looks to Walmart for food. I buy a few things here and there but find their food mostly sub par. Target food is way overpriced and terrible selection. I honesty rarely buy toys at target sometime a movie or CD but that's it. I looked to Walmart for Christmas shopping because prices were better had faster free shipping and I could also buy movie and CDs

Their issue for me was always price. I think they also missed the mark when it came to Video game selection. not to mention their separate security room for them. When I was little they dedicated a large area to video games and it was always exciting to find new games and try out new systems. but they fell short with places like Best buy being the go to place.

Newsies
Member Avatar
Dolphin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The future of Toys-R-Us still looks bleak but there are a few silver linings. The Bankruptcy court has approved two portion sails. The companies Canadian stores will be sold to Canadian investment firm Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. for 234 million dollars. They will take control and operate 82 stores. The Smyths Toys Superstores chain has bid $96.7 million to buy the stores in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. They would re-brand the central European stores to their own brand.

The company turned down a bid By Brats Doll Owner Isaac Larianís. The 675 million bid was for 30 percent of the remaining U.S. and Canada locations, around 200 stores. The bid was deemed too low by the company. Larian has gone on record saying that 1 in 5 of his Brats Dolls were sold out of a Toys-R-Us. With the above Canadian sale pending he hopes to come back to the table for the US locations.

The parent company currently has plans to auction off the name, web site, baby registry, and other segments of the company individually.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I heard on the news the owner of the brats call has decided to stop trying to buy the company. His last bid of 200 million for 200 us stores was rejected.

So show they think a million dollars bed location is not a fair amount. So its good by toys R Us do to the money grubbing managers.

Chair Scott
No Avatar

Yup it's all about the greed meanwhile their store employees were all sent to the Gallows. After decades of service the receive no sevrence and are threatened to not receive unemployment if they don't work to the final day. The executives only received $14 million in bonuses and the hedg fund walks away with $470 million. Poor bastard's they'll have to apply for food stamps.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
They should get nothing. Their jobs are to run a profitable co any the days of Managment and boards getting bonuses and buyouts from failed companies needs to stop.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Local News and Weather · Next Topic »
Add Reply