Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and youíll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Malls Past, Present, and Future
Topic Started: March 19 2017, 08:22 PM (156 Views)
SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Whether you see yourself as a Mallrat or just an occasional shopper this is the place to discuss local malls. Talk about their history, your experiences, w hats going on and the future of malls as we know the.

Kicking off this topic,
An episode of the deal mall series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viaj_ewX2Cc&index=3&list=WL
Edited by mrceagle, January 8 2018, 04:22 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
If you really are into movies, and shopping malls from the 80s, you must see this especially starting at 10:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIx_YM5ER5Q&list=WL&index=3

I even found this video of one of the fountains still running in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpyQyaBUO-s&t=33s&list=LL-wDGaMZlE-Q6CzI-HaPzKw&index=28
Edited by SROS Master, March 26 2017, 02:12 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Interesting. I have never seen that movie but the mall looked interesting. There was a Mall in Augusta GA that was very much like that. it had lost all its archer stores and was mostly empty.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I know this is food related but I was at the Mall of NH today for lunch. Boy is this food court looking horrible. Diangilo's is now closed and the pizza place had been gone for a while. One of the 3 chiness options is gone and now so is the pita sandiwtch location. The icea cream place is gone but thankfully DQ is still there. Literally, the entire food court offering is Arby's, Dunkns, The 2 Chinese stalls, and the pretzel stand. every other spot is walled off which makes the food court, which was already fairly loud. very loud.

On a positive note Bath and Body Works is moving to a bigger store space across from where they currently operate.
Edited by SROS Master, May 4 2017, 07:33 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Thats bad news for the mall. A real shame these malls are either decaying, or modernized to the point where the mall no longer has its unique character. Cough cough, Burlington Mall.

I also noticed some time ago, the Copley Place completely got rid of their fountain. Leaving Natick as the only New England mall left to have a fountain. Extremely sad considering it was one of the two coolest mall fountains in New England, along with the former Burlington Mall fountain collection.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
That is depressing news. I find malls a bit boring now a days. even the rehabbed ones feel a bit stale. it's the same stores and most of them are overpriced. i miss the old days of Fountains. lights, plants, and if you were really lucky a small arcade.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah I would kill to go back in time when shopping malls were king. Mainly somewhere in the late 1980s to early 1990s. Thankfully there are still some malls left that either have a very cool architecure and/or have a truly state of the art fountain, like Aventura Mall and Eaton Centre.

West Edmonton mall for a long time had this really cool food court. Never actually been there, but seen pictures. Unfortunatly though, they modernized it and its no longer anything special. Heres a video dedicated to this food court. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBZa1dRpXM&index=195&t=99s&list=LL-wDGaMZlE-Q6CzI-HaPzKw

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
The Fountain was neat but I can see why they took it out. the solid walls made the area very loud. While the rehab looks a bit odd with way too much granite. I to like that planter at the very end.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Someone should build an exact replica of this atrium.

Posted Image

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I have on occasion gotten a visitor pass to Costco and grabbed lunch. the pizza is also pretty good.

Fun Video got a laugh.

More Mall of NH news. Victoria Secret is walled off. The Store is getting a overhaul. In the meantime they have set up a limited selection store in what used to be Hallmark.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I was at the Mall of NH yesterday and the food court opened u p a new option. They now have a Sbarro pizza in the same corner that had a pizza place before. I didn't have time to walk the mall only stoped in for lunch at Arby's

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I rarely shop at the pheasant lane mall but I was there yesterday. Food cart is a mess. 5 of the food options are shut down including the BK. They do had a sign up on of of them that a Sbarro is coming soon. Seating is also a mess. tight tables and people crowed around the front of it since that's close to Chick-Fill-a and 3 of the opened options. Seating was so bad my friend and I gave up and ended up eating at Buffalo wild Wings which took over the location that formally houses Joe's American Grill.

The mall itself has a number of closed store fronts, though I didn't take a count it was enough to be noticeable. There were also dozens of buckets and wet floor signs seems they have a major water problem.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Wow thatís sad to hear. I use to go to that foodcourt a lot more often when I was a kid, and it felt alot more alive back then especially when they had the arcade room. Now its just boring and dull.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I miss the arcade though it is convenient having the restrooms there now.

Hopefully they can get them filed quickly. I mean the main reason I go is for chick-Fill-a but i still ant other options. Another change I forgot to mention is the Chines place is now a China City. I tried a small piece of Orange Chicken I thought it was a bit dry and tasteless. So not as good s the old option and no were near as good as Panda Express which was there in the early 2000's

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
At the mall of NH. Not much going on in the mall itself but the food court has a sign up for a new. Food option. Charley's Philly Cheese will take over the location formally occupied by Diangilos.

I'm a little confused by this. Its a sub shop with a very limited selection. Diangilos is one of the big players in the region and they left. They are also directly competing with Arby's which offers a lot of the same food.

I'll give it a try but I have a feeling that I will stick to other options.
Edited by mrceagle, June 15 2017, 09:56 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
This is how the Eaton Centre fountain ran last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa_ce-uuKtQ

And this how the eaton centre fountain is running this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gx31CLVHjY

Well, at least so far.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Nice little fountain. With the threat of so many malls closing down they really need to rethink the way do business. I think removing some of the stalls and reading fountains would be a good move.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Removing Eaton Centres fountain would be like removing Yankee Cannonball. It is the most beloved mall fountain in North America, and one of the most unique fountains in the world. Eaton Centre is one of the few malls that are doing very well, and shows no sign of decline.

The point I am making with the two videos is that the tall shooting fountain is running shorter than it was last year. Also none of the other vertical fountains surrounding the shooting fountain seem to be running. As far as I have observed on Youtube anyways.

Guess that goes to show that maintaining fountains isnít easy, so I am sure the fountain will be running back to normal by next year.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
No it's not, They need to be constantly cleaned and the piping needs to be tuned from time to time. They may also be on separate pumps and maybe programs or specific fountains run at specific times.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
^How many fountains do you know that have a bowl that fills up with water, then drains down, and has a shooting fountain that goes up 50+ft.

Here's the best video of it I can find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgoadkY-usQ

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Very interesting fountain. Kids seem to like it.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
This is interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7y1FoFqtiw&index=37&list=WL

The Atrium mall is also featured.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I found a picture what the Burlington Mall looked like back in the 1970s.

Posted Image

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Wow, look at all those plants. Boy has that mall changed.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I also saw pictures of the fountains it use to have several years ago, but unfortunately I cant find them now. I even saw a few pictures of the tall Burlington mall fountains around that same time, but I cant find them either. :'(

Anyways, heres some huge news for these Florida malls.

http://www.miami.com/miami-news/town-center-at-boca-raton-is-getting-a-makeover-because-its-all-about-that-new-new-173071/

I hope there not removing Boca ratons fountains.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Sadly That's likely to happen. seem they are so eager o put in kiosks they remove the fountains to do so. Mall are failing and they don't need more kiosks they need to make these places welcoming and exciting.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I would be nice if they were alot more informative about the fountains. Sadly, no one seems to care enough about them that they donít even bother mentioning it. I am at least hoping the fountain will be renovated to make it differently nice to look at, while bringing somethign new to the table. Infact it wouldnít be the first time for this to happen. There were a couple times the fountain was upgraded to a different fountain while still just as nice to look at.

Aventura mall isnt really renovating, but adding an extra wing that looks quite interesting along with a giant spiral outdoor slide near the entrance. If they are also renovating the rest of the mall, they BETTER NOT remove the star fountain. That is the best USA mall fountain that I know of. Not to mention the atrium its in was specifically built with the fountain in mind.

I was very disappointed what Natick Mall did when they added an extra wing. Did they really have to remove the unique Victorian style architecture, and that unique glass elevator?! They also could have done better with the new wing by adding more to the fountain, and making the elevators glass instead of covering them with that weird sculpture.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Merged from another topic
SROS Master December 17 2017

Not featured in this video, but from another video I saw there train ride over near the entrance runs with Christmas light displays. One particular display impressed me.

Still would rather go to Bright Nights or Compounces. They had a head start, and not to mention Bright Nights has a prettier setting. Its also nice how I don't have to deal with people character assassinating me for expressing a different opinion. Its also funny to me how most SFNE Online members, especially the very die hard ones, think or act like there amusement park professionals who are flexible about different opinions, when really they are nothing more than local SFI fanboys who dont wanna admit there bias(and arrogance for that matter).

mrceagle

I think I have been to the Natick Mall one or twice in my lifetime. But Malls have become sterile. Sure a few look aesthetically pleasing but it might as well be a hospital.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
While I was at New York City on the way back from visiting relatives for Christmas break, we visited the Manhatten Mall. My last visit to this mall was way back when I first visited NYC, exiting the subway and seeing a fountain. When we entered the mall, it felt earie compared to last time. I was confused as to where the fountain was. It turns out the whole first half of the mall was changed just to make way for a Jcpenny, thus getting rid of the fountain. They also got rid of a glass elevator. Whats even worse is that they decided to cover part of the glass elevator with some big box advertisment for Jcpennys. And it happens to be the only part where tourists actually get to ride it!

Couldnít they just keep the whole glass elevator in view, and couldnít they find some way to keep the fountain(or upgrade it to make it more entertaining)while blending in with the store?! Hell you could have ended up making it the best Jcpennys store in the world, like with Macys just one block away!

I am not very happy about what malls are doing these days. All they care about is gutting out cool and unique stuff just to add stores for the sake of $$$.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Pretty much. and the stores can't afford the prices which si why so many store fronts and kiosks are empty.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Thankfully, not all malls pull something this dirty off. Eaton Centre, and Aventura Mall still have really awesome unique things. Then again, those are the malls that are the least likely to go away. Maybe not even die at all.

Heres a video proving that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0PyzrTze2U

A cool idea to make up for this disappointment is to add a Bass Pro shops within the second half of the mall. I know it may sound a bit ridiculous, but every Bass Pro shops seem to attract alot of people, especially with all the waterfall features and aquariums. Theu can even do something creative with adding a glass elevator.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
And they can adapt to existing buildings the Hookset Bass Pro Shops in NH is a former Lows

I think one of the smartest things at THE Mall of NH was adding the best buy. THE target at the Pheasant lane not so much. but at least its a stable company at the moment.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
OMG, look what I found!!!

Posted Image

https://burlingtonretro.com/burlington-turns-50/

Heres a couple more awesome shots of 1970s Burlington Mall.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by SROS Master, January 6 2018, 10:41 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Awesome photos. Never saw the mal til I lived on Hansom in the late 80'sand 90's.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
This is interesting.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/07/07/why-this-mall-isn-dying/tKxzBfx4x91pUVAFfFkiSP/story.html

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
It warms my heart to know that there are a few people out there who film a mall fountain knowing that it will be going away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2HoV7xQjVI&index=11&list=WL

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
SROS Master
January 10 2018, 11:17 PM
Great article. I'm happy to hear they are renovating. It also seems they are aware of the challenges and are willing to face them head on.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Heres a video of the old Nashua mall before it was torn down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRcc0dDfZhw

Notice there was a fountain at 1:23.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
This video was from the end of its life as a mall. I can tell from the kiosks and the fact Burlington was there. Bradlees closing was the nail in the coffin for this as a mall.

The mall was not torn down. It was gutted and turning into a strip mall. In fact some of the smaller stores in the mall still exist along the back of the building. but the new Nashua mall, now a strip mall simply re walled and faced the building adding Christmas tree shop, LLbean outlet, Baby's R us and bradlees became kholes.

The same thing was done at the Bedford mall a few years back.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
OMG. A mall that added a fountain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO4oThD49G4&index=11&list=WL

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Everything Else · Next Topic »
Add Reply