Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and you’ll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Carowinds 2017
Topic Started: May 28 2017, 12:12 AM (73 Views)
SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Carowinds trip: 5/26/17

Sunny and hot, and at park opening-closing.

This was probably the best Carowinds trip yet. Lets first talk about the park food I ate today.

I had porkchop sandwich and Mac & Cheese at Harmony Hall. It was good park food. Like the Italian stand, its one of the best park foods I had, and definitely the best in the Cedar Fair chain I had.

Now lets talk about all the rides I did that were new to me compare to my last visit here:

Vortex: It wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I actually liked it more than Green Lanturn. Not nearly as good as Riddlers Revenge though.

Plants v.s. Zombies: Definitely an interesting concept. I liked how it gave this big epic arcade game environment. I feel it could have been a lot better though, like adding those effects used on those 4d movie expeiences, or having the seats move up and down a bit. It was kinda annoying how I couldn't tell where I was shooting at, since there was no laser beam animation of any sort. The only thing is that the gun vibrates whenever you hit something.

I give it a decent rating overall. Nothing too special, but still fun for what it was. Definitely not as good as Wonder Mountain Guardian though.

Carolina Cyclone: I skipped this ride from my last visit, since I heard from someone on an in the loop video saying how bad it was. But since I got a few people who asked me why I skipped it, and how one person said it was a decent ride, I decided to ride it this time.

Im glad I ridden it to say I have done it. However, I did not enjoy the ride. The seats were the most cramped and uncomfortable on a corkscrew coaster I can think of. The second row of each car was so cramped, that I decided at the last minute to move to the first row of the car I was on for more leg room. Thank goodness I did, cause I would have gotten one hell of an unpleasant ride. I would have liked the ride a little more, if only my right knee didn't make that jolt and banged on the train so dang hard! OUCH! It really ruined the ride. Its still a little sore as I write this report.

So perhaps this should explain why I skipped it from last time. I also thought my ride on Hurler was smoother and better than this. I'm sorry to say this, but its my least favorite ride in the park now(and maybe even my least favorite corkscrew coaster).

Observation tower(Carolina Skytower?): Im glad this ride is still around, since it gives you a good view of the whole park, and how much time you get to look at the view in great detail.

County Fair: Liked the themeing and soundtrack they used for this area. I have ridden all four of their new flats. Im glad they have the Trokia, since it has been a while since I last ridden one. Gentle, yet fun ride. The wave swinger was your typical wave swinger. I liked the view of the water park. Rockin Roller(Music Express flat Lake Compounce once had). I actually liked this version a little more than Lake Compounces. The lights and soundtrack used were very fitting for the area. Last but not least, Electro Spin(Top Scan). Not as good as Canada’s Wonderlands version, but still a lot of fun. The slower program gives it more of a gentle ride, and can be very fun when sitting on the outermost seat.

Yoyo swing: Its weird how the seat feels like its going to fall off when the ride starts and stops. Other than that, your typical outdated non wave swinger ride.

The last new thing I can recall doing was Dinosours Alive. We only did this to kill time for the Fury nightime marathon, since there was nothing else to do at the time. It was actually a little better than I thought. I liked the atmosphere it had. While I do agree it is a little overpriced, it was still fun doing it one time. I recommend doing this in the evening when the sun is starting to set. It really enhances the atmosphere. What they could have done better to merit the price, was to add some more plants, add some water features, and add a cave. I also wish that all the animatronics were working. I liked that animatronic dinosour with the smaller dinosour on top of it.

Other rides I have ridden today: Intimidator, Windseeker, Dropzone, River Rapids, and Boo Blaster.

I think they should get rid of those lights on Windseekers loading platform and get rid of that red zone. It doesn't seem to make a difference with the lighting. River Rapids didn't open til late afternoon, but better late than never. More effects were working on Boo Blaster than last time. Lastly, Intimidator just felt like a weaker Nitro, with better airtime. Behemoth puts this ride to shame!

I have ridden Fury 19x today. It was really hauling today, and felt soo good riding Fury again. Definitely ran better than it did my last visit. Now does that make me perfur it over Leviathan? No. I have ridden Leviathan when it was running very well, as well and when it wasn't running as well. They still are a tie for me. They both have their pros and cons.

Unfortunately, despite people saying you can choose front row, they still are not allowing people to choose seats including front and back row. The signs are still there. One weird thing I noticed however, was during one part of the day when the line was starting to get long, there was no grouper at all. It was self served allowing people to sit wherever they wanted. We obviously took advantage of a couple front row rides when that happened. Then back to grouper sometime later in the day.

When we did our night time rides, we also got very lucky when I ran into a very nice grouper. After I said how many in our group, she then said the one thing that surprised me in a good way. She asked me if we wanted to sit front row. Well, you all know the answer to that! We finally got a full night time ride with all the neon lights in the tunnel on! And I got to sit on the far left seat! It was super awesome! Probably the best Fury moment of my life!

Carowinds is a strange park. You get one awesome ride, and everything else you get isn't nearly as awesome with the exception of a few coasters, and some decent non coaster rides. Don't know when I wanna return to this park, but I had a great time.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Great report and it sound like you had good time. you mentioned that Dinosaurs alive was an up-charge, what did it cost? Plant Vs Zombies dose sound interesting but I have heard it was very simple.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
10 dollars(5 dollars for season pass holders).

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
That's not horrible but I have to wonder how it compares to the one Edaville includes with admission.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Never checked out Edavilles version, so I cant say.
Edited by SROS Master, May 31 2017, 08:14 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Trip Reports · Next Topic »
Add Reply