Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and you’ll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Skiing and Winter Activities
Topic Started: March 6 2017, 04:31 PM (607 Views)
SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just got back from skiing at Okemo. It was great to finally revisit this place. The conditions were great considering the terrible natural snow conditions as of late. They currently have the most open terrain in Vermont, if not all of New England.

I also got extremely lucky, by being the very first skiier of the day to do down Stump Jumper. It was hands down thee best run down this run of my life. I have never skiied down this awesome crusier trail that was 100% untouched before. Did I mention that it was a really calm and pleasent sunny day?

The only thing is that I really gotta look into my skiboots, as my right foot was hurting like hell on the way back home(thank goodness my dad was able to come with me on this trip).

Aside from that, it was probably the best Okemo trip of my life. Our run down Stump Jumper was a huge bonus.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
How is it we didn't have a skiing thread. Sounds like you had a good day. thanks for sharing.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Cause I haven’t been skiing as much as I usually have been throughout the past couple seasons. Plus, the only other person who talks about skiing on the new england park forums has bashed me for how Okemo has great trails. It also doesn’t help how he also tried making my opinion look dumb and invalid.

But I suppose it wouldn’t really matter now, since my run down Stump Jumper was way too awesome for me to be convinced that Okemo is boring and dull. :D
Edited by SROS Master, March 7 2017, 08:36 AM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Well hopefully this thread will attract a few new posters that are similarly enthusiastic about Skiing, winter sports, and local resorts.

What other mountains have you managed to visit this season.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Gunstock. Grooming wasn’t that great, and I thought it wasn’t as good as people say it is. Then again, the conditions were pretty bad that day and that I was out of shape. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if it was a nicer day out.

Yeah so far I only went skiing twice a year within the past couple seasons.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Here's a documentary of a ski resort I really want to go to for over a decade now.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Cool Video

So how do you think this March Blizzard will affect the ski reports. I would guess it will help extend the season but any guess to how much.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I don’t think it will extend the ski season by that much. I am guessing the snow is gonna start melting away by April.

Remember that one March when it dumped snow like crazy, and then ended up having a day where its highs were in the 90s.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Very true, this is New England weather we're talking about

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Stowe received a total 50 inches of new snow since that big storm. That's over 4 feet!

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Stowe is the only New England resort on this list.

Edited by mrceagle, March 31 2017, 10:28 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Interesting. Not sure what they re basing this on. I saw no reference to a list by a travel site of magazine.

Cant say I'm surprised though. I mean how many of the NE Ski areas are really considered resorts. Mot of them are simply ski areas with a base and summit lodge and maybe some nearby condos.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LryAnw2_ias

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
One thing I forgot to mention about Okemo, is that they have the best snowmaking and grooming system in New England, if not the Eastern US.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Heading into summer and the technical off season I'm sure we can keep this Thread active with info about What is available at the resorts.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Eyup, all the ski areas are done for the ski season. The last ski resort in new england to be done for the season is Killington(big suprise). And the final day was on the first of June.

Some ski areas stay open for the summer season with their summer and fall activities, such as alpine slides and coasters, mountainbiking trails, ziplines and more. Gunstock is the closest ski area to Boston to have some pretty awesome summer activities, including their truly one of a kind zipline tour.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Jun is still very impressive for a ski season.

I have camped at Gunstock many times. Though this was long before their zip lines and water coasters existed.
Edited by SROS Master, June 4 2017, 04:18 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yes it is. But thing is Killington is always the first to open, and last to close. They usually open somewhere around late october. The earliest they even opened was on late September(now that is impressive even for Killington). Unfortunately because its so early and late in the season, only one trail would be open. In the fall, only North Ridge triple is open for skiing. You have to take the Gondola and then walk down the hiking ramp to get to the top of North Ridge(it doesn’t go all the way to the bottom). Now for the case of late ski season for Killington, only the main line on Superstar liftline has snow. You literally have to walk on bare ground to get to the lift, and eventually the trail.

Heres a video of what I am exactly talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPYGDJTwf2I
Edited by SROS Master, June 4 2017, 04:17 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
ok, that's a bit funny to look at. Reminds me of one trip to Disney ad they were doing this winter fest. They made snow and pilled it up in a 30X30 area at downtown Disney but everything else was all green.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah, I think the only reason Killington opens that early and that late is not just because its the biggest. But to also cater to all the die harded fans.

I cetainly dont think its worth having to walk down this just to get to one short ski trail, and then having to hike back up to get to the Gondola to get to the base lodge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlUsgDWQmzk

Heres a cool video about Loons Gondola.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PocX9Q3Cww

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Here's my top 10 list of favorite ski areas I have visited so far.

1. Okemo and Sugarbush
2. Killington and Stowe
3. Stratton
4. Jay peak
5. Wildcat
6. Ragged Mountain
7. Mount Snow
8. Waterville Valley
9. Whiteface
10. Sugarloaf

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Dang, I had no idea Smugglers Notch had such unique summer activities.

http://www.smuggs.com/pages/summer/water/index.php

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwrK7VMp2rU

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Oooooooooooooooo!

https://www.steamboat.com/things-to-do/activities/mountain-coaster

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Good for them. Though Don't think I will be getting to that part of Colorado anytime soon.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I noticed mountain biking is becoming more and more popular at ski areas these days. Lots of new trails are being added.

Okemo is now offering their scenic chairlift ride on Sunburst Six daily now and not just the weekends.

Heres something new at Mount Sunapee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmtqH9QkweU

For some reason, Killington has not been very informative about their hiking trails lately. All they show is just their map, and they aren’t giving any information about the trails.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
No way!

https://www.okemo.com/activities/scenic-train-rides/

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Nice find. Not sure why they are shuttling people and offering a one way trip. You figure at $25 bucks it would be a round trip.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
My guess it has something to do with the freight trains, as they share the same route. Also operating train rides especially privately owned ones are not cheap.

Its always better to start off at the least interesting place, and end at the most interesting.

It also sounds like their first year ever doing this. Maybe they will start offering round trip options if it makes enough money.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Fingers Crossed. It really is a good idea.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I tried out the Sunbirst Six lift today to see what it was like during the summer season, while spending the rest of the time doing some hiking til it was time to come back down the chairlift. One thing I wish the site could have been more informative about is the parking. Didn’t know there was parking available right at the lift, and another separate parking for the bike park just up the road. Found that out the hard way when I parked at the base lodge to see where you could get lift tickets. Oh well, I wanted to hike a little ways up to the lift anyways.

Another very crucial thing the site never seems to mention, is that you can drive up the mountain road all the way to the gate where it says that only authorised vechicals are allowed(hikers may proceed), which is located near the top of the mountain.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
So what you're saying is you could have parked at the lift or even driven most of the way up and parked there?

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Eyup. And their website never metions anything about that. Even if I did knew about it ahead of time, it wouldn’t have been nearly as fun as riding the chairlift. I also wanted a bit of exercise getting to the chairlift anyways.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Well this is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8nILPapIhY&index=18&list=WL

Though you can only imagine how expensive this must be.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Probably the best choice of music of any skiing videos I have yet seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2BkXwzxpIc&index=14&list=WL

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
nice, mountain looks great.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Look at how boring Okemo has gotten over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUSzzhF8ljg

*sarcasm*

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
This was just posted today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTsqq1Q3Lr8

While were on the subject, I have exciting news. After over 10 years of wanting to go to this place, I am finally gonna be going this coming Feburary! Though I am also crossing my fingers hoping the weather will be good enough that I would get the full experience. I am still very excited. Even just skiing a part of it would make me happy.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Ragged Mountain had begun snowmaking.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Look what Sunapee has added for this winter.

Posted Image

https://www.facebook.com/mountsunapeeresort/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Everything Else · Next Topic »
Add Reply