Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and youíll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Canobie Lake Park Discussion; Rumors, News and More
Topic Started: February 8 2017, 11:45 PM (1,467 Views)
mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This thread is dedicated to Canobie Lake Park (CLP). A place where Canobie Fans can converse. Feel free to create independent threads for major news out of the park but for general discussions and speculation this is the place.

Posted Image

Current Ride Count 52
4 Coasters | 7 Thrill Rides | 16 Family Rides | 1 Dark Ride | 4 Water Rides | 18 Kiddie Rides
33 Games and attractions including Castaway Island water play structure

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I wonder what the future holds for Dragon coaster? While dated compare to todayís standards, it is still a hit for kids and parents. A new family coaster would be nice, but its still cool watching the coaster run.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
The time to get rid of it would have been this last summer when ti was broken. Given they opted to fix it, I have a feeling it's going to be here for a while.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Unless it breaks again. Then it may be replaced with a show about the three dragons.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
True! Mostly pointing out that they obviously want to ride. otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to fix it. I can accept them opting to keep it but its depressing that it now operates slower then before and the load/unload procedure is slow and annoying. I road it after the rehab and doubt I will be reriding it any time soon.
Edited by SROS Master, February 12 2017, 09:52 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Here is a nice video of Canobie back in the 1990s. Brings back lots of memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_dXZq89eoA&t=3s&list=LL-wDGaMZlE-Q6CzI-HaPzKw&index=347

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Nice find. Boy do I miss the Matterhorn.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
News Out of ACE New England's Nor Easter Event

• The work in the parking lot is a sewer upgrade
  • There is a chance of a mid to late season flat

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Man that really is a sh****y upgrade.

Hmmm. How about a giant flying position enterprise! There's plenty of space over at the Cataway Island area.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
That model never did take off. Huss and Zamperla have superseded car versions of the ride available now. Zamperla even has a double seat version that has descent capacity. 48 riders on that version could get you upwards 960pph. you can also get a the classic tub Enterprise.

Zamperla Endeavor

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Now that would be a very cool and original ride for the New England area. It would greatly make up the cancellation for the River Rapids ride.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I agree, Capacity is good, it's a high thrill ride something the park is lacking, It would fill the hole left by Equinox's removal, the park would have an inverting flat again, and it's a flashy ride people would stand around and watch.
Edited by SROS Master, February 22 2017, 05:39 PM.

jimmymass
No Avatar
Crill
[ * ]
Here is the link to the Video from Ace Noreaster I found on facebook. Hopefully the link works.

https://www.facebook.com/canobielakeparkconnoisseurs/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Link works. The first video you come across on that page is a summer park tour.

Nice to see you posting here.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
jimmymass
February 23 2017, 06:59 PM
Here is the link to the Video from Ace Noreaster I found on facebook. Hopefully the link works.

https://www.facebook.com/canobielakeparkconnoisseurs/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf
I would embed the video for you got its not set up yet. I found some code so that we can do it in the future. One of many upgrades I'm planing to make when I have a bit more time.

I did snag the direct link to the video

I like this set up much better. it's what I have been begging for longer solid shows that are much easier to hit. Though it stinks that the tribute acts get pushed to the midway stage while only the circus gets the dance hall. i like the idea of the Country and bluegrass festival in the fall though I don't know if I would visit.

I did notice that at the very end they mentioned rehabbing the carousel. Very good move though it needed a rehab years ago. I hope along wit the horses the platform itself gets some TLC and hopefully bringing back the brass polls or at least something that looks like brass on the

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah, unless they add another haunt inside the Dancehall Theater, I really would like them to move the tribute band concerts to the Dancehall Theater. It will feel a lot more like a true rock concert.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I don't see that happen but I really wish they would move the Rockoberfest into the dance hall.

My brother Was at Nor Easter and gave me a bit more info on the parks rehabs. The carousel rehab is being down in house by one of the parks carpenters it will take 2-3 years to completely rehab the carousel. The Sewer system work is not just in the parking lot the entire system will be replaced. Seems the system dates back to the 60's.

For anyone that has had to have sewer work don on your house it's very costly. I would not be surprised if this project is running in the malty million dollar range.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
With the flood watches we have been having throughout this past weekend, Canobie lake should hopefully be back at normal water level.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Hopefully but much of the flood warning are not over rivers and lakes but do to storm drains being blocked by snow.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Canobie has their RTC Pinball up for sale. It can be yours for $4,999

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ele/6014856947.html

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Interesting.

Heres part two of Canobie back in 1993:

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I am guessing the machine is under performing. but now that they are no longer offering the quarter play on all pinball I haven't used them.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I played the pinball machines at Canobie from last season. They were good, but not nearly as good as what you find at Pinball Wizard. Pinball Wizard has some of the best pinball machines I have ever played. I donít plan on buying that Pinball Machine though. I use to have one of those mini pinball machines you could easily play at home, and use to play it a whole lot until it started having a lot of problems.

What are your thoughts on Canobies electric fountain? I think it looks great with the fountains on top with the water coming down the stone wall. Though I missed how it previously had 5 fountains on the pool and one tall fountain shooting out from the stone cairn. I feel it could add one more thing to make it truly amazing.

Either a shooting fountain at the top next to the smaller fountains, that would go off every 10 minutes or so. Or add 4 taller fountains where the old exterior fountains use to be, and make them rise up and down a bit.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
After some digging it's a fair price for the machine. I'm just not sure why they are selling it on Craigslist.

I'm a bit torn by the electric fountain. I'm happy the parks first attraction is still at the park. but I think the fountain itself lacks the spectacle it once had. The very simple fountain attached to the top looks nice but also a bit makeshift. I miss the smaller fountains around the base.

As for a timed fountain I would have preferred a fountain with a water show in place of Tiki maze over that concrete pad.
Edited by SROS Master, March 11 2017, 08:29 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
While on SFNE Online, I noticed a small discussion about a Bayerns Curve for sale. Do you think Canobie could buy it and place it over at Equinoxs former spot?

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I 'm pretty sure it would fit there and it would be a high capacity ride. While it is older it would be a very unique attraction.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah, just as long as they donít ever use the horn. When I ridden the one at Kennywood, I thought the horn was not at all necessary. Not to mention it would be too load for park property anyway.

If Canobie removes Corkscrew at some point, what would you like to see it replaced with? A compact GCI woodie would be a good replacement. A second woodie, but a different enough ride to the Cannonball.

Heres another option that has been mentioned a couple times from different sites:

Edited by SROS Master, March 16 2017, 06:30 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Heres part 3 of Canobie in 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZJEZHSPnCU&t=42s

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I thought I had responded to you about Kanonen. Nice coaster solid layout with similar inversion count but better selection. It meets the height requirement and is an impressive launch coaster something that is still somewhat rare in this area.

That is a cool video. I miss the park from back them. While they have added some great rides in the last 2 decades many don't compare to the greats they had them like Matterhorn, Moon orbiter, and paratrooper.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
On this site, no.

Yeah I also miss Paratrooper and Matterhorn. As well as the Kosmojets. Although Wipeout is a pretty good ride for what it is, minus the killer lateral g's at the end.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
What's worse is there are newer higher capacity version of many of these rides that would make great additions to the park. So many amazing small additions they could do ride wise to fill the gapes between big additions.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
With SFNE adding Holiday in the Park I can't help but be disappointed. who knows maybe with the Sewer system overhaul it will lead to great things in the parks future. but the park is coming in behind the 8 ball. There are only 3 major park in this area and Canobie was the last to get a Halloween event and the only one now to not offer a Christmas event. On top of that there are 3 smaller parks that are offering a Christmas event. Don't get me wrong I love Canobie but it's aggravating to see all these parks doing so much and getting so much while Canobie adds little to nothing.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah I do agree now would be a good time for the park to really start considering doing a Christmas Light event. Why not have the Christmas decorations based on some aspects the park use to have back in the earlier days. It would be cool to have a Christmas light lazer show where the fireworks show takes place, and maybe add a cool Christmas light display/show on the electric fountain.

It would also be cool to play music from this video for the Christmas event.

Edited by SROS Master, March 31 2017, 11:42 AM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Thanks for embedding the video, Park looks great so many memories.

Canobie could do a very good winter event and they have a bigger selection of rides that could operate during the season then other parks in the area. But this sewer update would only be the tart. I assume they will redo water pipes while they have everything torn up so they will be lower and not need to be drained. Major buildings would need heat added, at this time only the backstage buildings have heat.

But the park has plenty of trees to put lights up on. the buildings are already well light so would simply need some festive accent lights and decorations. we already know they can put on great shows. A closed attraction like the log flume could easily be modified into a Santa's house for meet and greats.

One thing I brought up in the past would be converting the Canobie hotel haunt into a holiday hotel walk through. It would only require a handful of updates and would be a great way to get out of the cold and add an extra attraction.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah I really like your idea about Canobie hotel, especially with all the high quality themeing it has. Another really cool idea would be the train ride. Add tunnels and Christmas lights throughout the ride, especially over at that big field near Castaway Island. Put a fence next to the pathway there as to not spoil whatís over there.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Love the idea but the train would be a difficult attraction. The train itself already has an issue running its course if the track is wet. i would imagine it would have more issue if it got cold and sports were icy. They would also have a issue with the train itself it's a real steam locomotive and the water in its tank can freeze. This mean they either need to Keep it running 24/7, drain it every night, or set up a building that can be heated to house it overnight.

but honestly how cool would the castaway Island structure look covered in lights.

Canobie has so many trees and stylish buildings they could do so much with. They would need a few new displays something unique for guests to look at and maybe a few things people could get pictures at.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Well Edaville Railroad, and Lake Compounce were able to run their trains during their Christmas event, so I am wondering how they did it.

I also like your idea about Castaway Island. Even better, have the entire Corkscrew area filled with Christmas lights.
Edited by SROS Master, April 3 2017, 10:08 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
LC like Storyland And Santa's Village has Gas Engine locomotives. Edaville Primarily operates their diesel locomotive. Edaville has a coal Fired locamotive but they have a station house for their locomotives to store and keep them warm at night.

Might as well find a way to put as many lights on any attraction not being operated.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
How about a Christmas light version of Psycho Drome, and add a heater system inside to keep warm. Why not add a snowfall effect at the end of the ride.

After driving by Canobie lake today, I am happy to say that the lake is back at its normal level.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I think a Holiday update to many rides would be merited. Phyco drome with Christmas music Christmas songs on the band organ at the carousel. perhaps find a way to do a holiday update to Mine of lost souls. The big thing will be Finding creative uses for area and rides not operted. Boston Team party could have lights but that's a big space and the building swill be in high demand.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · New England Parks and Attractions Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply