Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and you’ll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Six Flags New England General Discussion
Topic Started: February 8 2017, 10:01 PM (1,226 Views)
mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This thread is dedicated to Six flags New England (SFNE). A place for SFNE Fans to Converse. Feel free to create independent threads for major news out of the park but for general discussions and speculation this is the place.

Posted Image Posted Image

Current Ride Count 41
12 Coasters | 4 Thrill Rides | 10 Family Rides | 1 Dark Ride | 1 Water Ride | 13 Kiddie Rides
Water Park Attraction count 39
3 Pools | 2 Lazy/Adventure Rivers | 28 Slides | 5 Kids attractions | 1 Play-structure
Edited by mrceagle, August 22 2017, 02:35 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
This park has an interesting history for me. It use to be awesome back when Superman was new. I use to go there dozens of times. Then the park changed alot of things that I was not happy about. I then hated it to the point where I thought Canobie is better.

Right now with all the new stuff added lately, I think the park is becoming ok. Still not interested enough in revisiting, but who knows what they will add or take away in the coming future.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I read somewhere that Thunderbolt replaced the old seat belts with smaller seat belts that sound too restrictive. When did that happen?

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
SROS Master
February 10 2017, 08:18 PM
This park has an interesting history for me. It use to be awesome back when Superman was new. I use to go there dozens of times. Then the park changed alot of things that I was not happy about. I then hated it to the point where I thought Canobie is better.

Right now with all the new stuff added lately, I think the park is becoming ok. Still not interested enough in revisiting, but who knows what they will add or take away in the coming future.
I visited many times in the early 2000's. The park was amazing though down time was a big issue. They had more more fountains back then. The park had much better shows. 2005 was were they hit their peek. but the park slowly declined. I have been back a couple times in the last 3 years. The park has gotten a lot better but still lacks the amazement seen in the years after being flagged. I did enjoy my trips though my second trip was very busy and I only got on 8 rides in 8 hours. my previous strip just short of Fright Fest was much better.
Quote:

I read somewhere that Thunderbolt replaced the old seat belts with smaller seat belts that sound too restrictive. When did that happen?

I don't know if they replaced them with shorter belts of simply trimmed the ones they had making them shorter. But they are shorter.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
While looking at a Canobie video posted by SROS Master I saw a video for Riverside year 1999. Sadly most of the rides shown in this video are now gone and many of those rides were fairly new or the park.

There was also this video form local WGBY featuring lost but not forgotten attractions like the race track and monorail.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Thanks for posting. That first video brings back some memories from the earlier days I visited Six Flags.

Heres a video of the monorail.
Edited by SROS Master, February 17 2017, 07:38 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Good find. I had an opportunity to ride the mono rail on my first trip to Riverside in 96. What an unique and fun ride. Stinks they took it out. The only thing ii think was really in the way of it's layout today is the Loony Tunes Emporium.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
The park has posted an update today; Joker is now going vertical.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I am astounded how critical and arrogant the parks fanboys are these days.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Never underestimate the combination of passion and foolishness.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Hahaha!

Even back when I was a fanboy of SFNE, and that was from 2003-2007 or 08, I wasn’t very snooty. My appreciation of the park was too overwhelming.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
That's a good thing

back to SFNE It seems the park is dumping VR on Superman but will likely relocate it to Mind Eraser.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
That's also a good thing.

I don’t know for sure if this will happen anytime soon. But if it is, then it would be cool to have it take place at Gotham City with a battle against the Riddler. It would be called, the Riddler's Mind Eraser. But the one thing that would be really awesome in addition to VR, is if they also added those new Vekoma style trains.

I seriously would go back to the park just to check that out.
Edited by SROS Master, March 4 2017, 02:29 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
In those If you ran the park threads, For years I have been suggesting the South End become Gotham City and from the very beginning I have been calling for Riddler's Mind Eraser. So for me this is nothing new. but it's never happened. only reason it's being suggested now is that the park is getting a new coaster and they are opting to call it Joker since they have no imagination and can't come up with another name.

Unfortunately the area has changed so my original plan of the Gotham Millennium Wheel Sponsored by Wayne Industries will not be happening.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah you know, SFNE could still be a great park if Mark Shapiro never took over as CEO. They should have just kept everything they had from the 2006 season, and just focused on turning South End into Gotham City.

I guess flipso the ride would be a more original name than Joker.

So, is your Gotham Millennium Wheel idea a Ferris Wheel?
Edited by SROS Master, March 5 2017, 02:12 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yes it was a rename of the Existing Ferris wheel that was removed in like 2006. The support structure was damaged during the construction n of Splash Water Falls and they opted to take it down. The area had much more rides back them.

Shapiro didn't do the best job but they were in horrible shape financially. He inherited a lot of debt and did a lot to turn the company around. Yes they eventually went bankrupt but if the old management had stayed in control We might not have a six Flags to talk about.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I get what you mean. Though there still were some rides that should have stayed, like Nightwing, and Rodeo.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Those were big losses as was time warp. But there was an order to trim costs and They went after the flats that had high operation costs. They could have removed a caster shipped it off somewhere else but the park seems set on driving that count up regardless of need for the coaster. It's hard to keep 50+ rides going on top of the water park, especially when the chain is in the red.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I have to agree that removing an average joe coaster is better than removing a unique flat. Would some of those unique flats have been saved if Flashback was removed several years ago?

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Granted it's only a theory but pretty much yes. Flashback costs x amount to keep up and requires 2-3 employees. So those costs could be weighed against the maintenance costs and number of employees a flat takes. Time Warp operated with 2 employees rodeo with 1 but it should have operated with 2 to streamline the load/unload to up capacity.

Night wing unfortunately was starting to have issues and Huss stopped supporting it since they only sold a few of them.
Edited by SROS Master, March 8 2017, 08:29 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Well its official. Mind Eraser is going to have a VR experience called, Galactic attack.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
That's teh second one so far. I suspect we might see one or 2 more

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale

Also what is this HITP I have been hearing about?

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
HITP is an Acronym for Holiday in The Park. Basically it's a Winder Christmas/Lights event held at a few other parks. Personally I think it woudl be a mistake at SFNE. It's Topography is horribly set up for a winter event and With our unpredictable and often cold weather their high focus on thrill rides leaves only a bunch of Kiddie rides and a few family rides available to operate for guests.

Another issue is competition. They are far from the only game in town. Lake Compunce has an event only 45 minutes south, The zoo in Springfield has a holiday lights event round 10 minutes away. Santa's Village and Edaville also have winter events and offer far more attractions that can operate for guests. You also have stand alone events like the Drive though lights at NH International Speedway. The park would also be competing company wise with Great Adventure operating a very large event and their weather allows for more rides to be operated.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Huh. How did I not think of that? Well its a good thing I said that here instead on SFNE Online. Otherwise I would have gotten a snooty response, as if I said something stupid(especially from that one kid).

Anyways, I have to agree with you about HITP not working well for SFNE. Even though Jenn Mcgrapth said they are going to put the most effort into it, despite Great Adventure and especially Magic Mountain with more seasons on their belt.

I much rather do a special road trip to Carowinds Winterfest than to attend SFNEs HITP.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Well, its official: https://www.sixflags.com/newengland/special-events/landing/holiday-park

I really can not believe they are going to attempt this. So far their only going to run three coasters. Thunderbolt, Mind Eraser, and Joker 4d.

While doesn’t sound that exciting to me, it is still good to see the park trying to add something new. This will be very interesting how it goes.

At least most of the fanboys are excited for it.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Here is the press release

Six Flags New England Premieres HOLIDAY IN THE PARK®

Classic Holiday Festival Celebrating the Sights and Sounds of the Season Throughout November and December

Agawam, MA. — March 29, 2017 — Six Flags New England—the Coaster Capital of New England, today announced its season of thrills will be extended in 2017 with the addition of Six Flags Entertainment’s annual holiday festival - HOLIDAY IN THE PARK®. More than one million LED lights, beautiful Christmas trees, thrilling rides, enchanting shows and state-of-the-art decor will create the perfect magical atmosphere this holiday season.

Holiday in the Park® will be the largest holiday celebration in New England, delighting guests of all ages with sparkling lights, festive shows, tasty holiday treats, and photos with Santa. Park goers and their families will be transported to a magical winter wonderland featuring more than 50 rides, shows and attractions, roaming interactive holiday characters, storytelling with Mrs. Claus, warm and toasty fire-pits, synchronized lighting displays, a breathtaking nightly snowfall and other holiday experiences that can only be experienced at Six Flags New England.

“Holiday in the Park will be a wonderful must-see spectacle for families to enjoy. We are thrilled to offer our guests the opportunity to enjoy a summer of thrills including New England’s largest water park—Hurricane Harbor, our scariest Fright Fest ever and then complete the year with a trip to the North Pole,” said Six Flags New England Park President John Winkler. “The benefits of a 2017 season pass or membership to Six Flags New England just got better with the addition of Holiday in the Park.”

2017 will be the Coaster Capital of New England’s longest season ever featuring the all-new Galactic Attack Virtual Reality Coaster, THE JOKER 4D Free Fly Coaster and now the most magical holiday celebration in New England, Holiday in the Park®. Six Flags New England’s Holiday in the Park® will premiere on select dates throughout November and December of this year.

The park will offer 27 ride 11 kiddie rides and 16 family and thrill rides. the DC area is not included and they are also not opening up the back corner of North end which includes NE sky Screamer, Wicked Cyclone and more.

Ride list
Houdini – The Great Escape
Stampede Bumper Cars
Rock N Rodeo
Tomahawk
Krazy Kars
Krazy Kups
Wild Wheelz
Whirlybirdz
Ship’s Ahoy!
Animation Department
Daffy’s Hollywood Tours
The Great Chase
Wile E. Coyote Speed Trap
Taz Prop Delivery
Tweety’s Clubhouse
1909 Illions Grand Carousel
New England Express
Thunderbolt
Balloon Race
Scrambler
Buzzsaw
GOTHAM CITY™ Crime Wave
Kontiki
Mind Eraser
BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT™
THE JOKER™
Fireball
Edited by mrceagle, March 29 2017, 11:21 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Thanks for posting that. This isnt a bad way to start their HITP. They also are gonna have a kiddie coaster open, and BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT OPEN?!?!

Holy cow! I have changed my mind! I am super excited for this! This is going to be the greatest Christmas event in the history of man kind, because its in New England!!! If anybody disagrees with me, you are a negative moron who doesn’t deserve to live!!!!!!!!

Haha, I’m joking! I actually don’t think it will be that ground breaking, but should still be fun for what it is. I’m just spoiled from Great Adventures version, and that I rather go to one of New Hampshires Christmas light events.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I'll be that Moron! I with what has been presented would still put SFNE HITP last behind Santa's Village, LC and Edaville. Sure it will be a nice extra and I assume Season Passes will be allowed. that will help them. I just don't see families picking SFNE over other options in the area. I also suspect teens will be upset when the ride listing is cut do to winter conditions.

I suspect heavy down time when it comes to Mind eraser, Batman, Fireball, buzzsaw and Tomahawk.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Eyyup. Definites sounds like its going to be the best HITP ever.......

In memory of the original SROS ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRR53AQT-Nc&index=337&list=LL-wDGaMZlE-Q6CzI-HaPzKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3XfrI2Uj9E&list=LL-wDGaMZlE-Q6CzI-HaPzKw&index=336

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Superman was better way back then. though even those videos are likely around 2005 or so. took a while for the park to plant grass around he back turn. The second video show well developed willows around Poison ivy/catwoman those took a good 6 year to grow in.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale

Edited by mrceagle, April 1 2017, 08:27 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
How have I not heard of this earlier. I just found out that Mind Eraser is getting these new trains that are similar to the ones on Carolina Cobra. Maybe I will revisit SFNE next year just to check that out. Well, unless Flight Deck at Canada’s Wonderland gets new trains too.

Posted Image

Credit goes to SFNE Online for the picture.
Edited by SROS Master, April 6 2017, 06:47 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I was thrilled by this news. I have been asking for these trains for years. The trains are being upgraded as part of the upgrade that will also relocate VR form Superman to Mind Eraser.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Well since they now have a coaster named Joker, they decided to ditch the theme of the Jokers Wild Card ride at the DC area, and rethemed it to kryptonite. I hope they are still using the joker head for part of the décor for the Joker coaster.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I was wondering what that was referring to. I just hope they took the time to swap out the themeing since cards and kryptonite make no sense.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I am pleasantly surprised hearing about all the improvements the park has been making this year. New restraints on Batman, great operations on Wicked Cyclone and Superman. And now they recently made a couple improvments on Superman the fans have been asking for. This is way better than what I have been hearing from last year, considering Superman had the no choice of seat policy thanks to VR with terrible operations.

I will be blown away if they went as far as fixing the restraints for Superman. How cool would it be to no longer have its max height at 76.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
It would be nice to have the max height back. I do like many of the changes but find the Joker's Wildcard to Kryptanite conversion looks a bit cheap. Hopefully we'll see a bit more done to it and the area.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Well now that I discovered the max height for the Joker, which is at 77 inches. I come to realize Six Flags doesn’t give a $#*t about people who are 76 inches or over(not even the fanboys who are truly passionate about the park and Six Flags in general it seems).

I also fear that safety restrictions are gonna get more strict in the future due to more people doing stupid things(and even people getting paranoid over things that really shouldn’t be that big of a deal). This really is depressing.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Problem is their are not a lot of these. Not sure what the max height is on other installations. Problem is whenever you start adding complex shoulder harnesses and restraints you stand a chance to restrict more guests whether that be fore height or weight.

It is sad thought to see a push to add restraints to rides that have successfully operated for years without them. look at Caterpillar at Canobie. It operated for 80 some odd years without seat belts and they add belts. Sadly Americans are sue happy and US courts place the blame on the companies and not the individual that most of the time is responsible for the incident.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · New England Parks and Attractions Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply