Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Whalom Park and New Whalom Cooperative, LLC forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Currently you are viewing our forums as a guest and can explore and read through our topics. Become a member of our community and youíll be able to respond to topics, vote in polls, start your own topics and most importantly be a part of the New Whalom Community.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free:
Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dinning Out; Restaurant News, Reviews, and Discussions
Topic Started: January 14 2017, 10:25 PM (502 Views)
SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is where you can discuss eating out at a Restaurant.

Earlier tonight, I ate at a place called L andana in Burlington MA. It is more expensive than a Cheesecake Factory, but not quite as expensive as a true 5 star restaurant. They have some really good food for the price you pay. Love the smell when your in the restaurant.
Edited by mrceagle, January 14 2017, 11:41 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I made a slight edit to make this a restaurant only thread. We can discuss fast food chains separately.

Sounds like a nice place. Where exactly in Burlington is it?
Edited by mrceagle, January 15 2017, 11:41 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Its a bit ways east from Burlington Mall, and a bit north from I 95.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Sounds easy to get to. I'm still saddened that the Burlington Mall dumped Rain Forest cafe.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah me too. Really was unique for the New England area. I am also saddened with the absence of the fountains that mall use to have. Its like walking in a graveyard.

At least they still have Cheesecake Factory, which I think is one of the only things thatís keeping the mall going.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I walked the cheesecake factory a few years back. After looking at the prices I moved on.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Has anyone ate at Parkers Maple Barn in Brookline NH? From the reviews on Tripadvisor, it sounds like a pretty good place.

I have driven past it numerous times, but keep forgetting to look up the reviews until now.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I have years ago. Been a very long time. It's not far from me. Great food.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I heard on the radio today, about a commercial advertising a Rainforest Cafe in Manchester. Is it really the Rainforest Cafe that Burlington Mall once had, or just a random cafe using the same name.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Not sure this is the first I'm hearing about it. We'll have to do some more digging.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
There are a few restaurants under construction in Southern NH.

Copper Door Salem, NH
This upper scale dining restaurant is owned by The Great New Hampshire Restaurant Company that also operates T bones and Cactus Jacks. This is the second Copper Door location with the first in Bedford, NH. This 8,300 sqft restaurant will be built at 41 S. Broadway, the site was formerly a Weathervane.

Tuscan Kitchen and market Portsmouth, NH
Tuscan Brands LLC has planes to level the long defunct Jerry Lewis movie theater at 581 Lafayette Road to make room for their latest project. Planes were submitted to built there upscale Italian restaurant concept featuring a 9,088 sqft restaurant, 6,518 sqft market and 2,538 sqft of outdoor seating space. The company currently has location in Salem, NH and Burlington, MA.

Friendly's Merrimack, NH
Best known for their Ice Cream this casual dinning chain will be opening a new location on the former site of McDonald's at 710 Milford Road Merrimack, NH. across form Continental Boulevard. An opening day of February 20th 2017 has been set.
Edited by mrceagle, February 7 2017, 02:17 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
This is interesting news.

I never ate at a Copper Door before, but having eaten at a T bones, I think the food will be on par with restaurants like Olive Garden.

Good to hear another Tuscan Kitchen restaurant is being added. It is one of the better chain restaurant out there. The food is easily on par with Cheesecake Factory.

I am surprised to hear another Friendly's restaurant is being added. Last I heard their food is going down the drain.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
If you've been to a Tuscan kitchen you can expect similar dining experience at a the copper Door. It's a bit higher end Casual dining with most items between 12-30 dollars. A focus on the bar scene.

I was also surprised when I saw the sign saying the former McDonald's was turning into a Friendly's. The food is a bit hit and miss. some items are very good while others leave a lot to be desired. My parents reticently visited the DW Highway location in Nashua and had a horribly long wait. It seems the drive through takes priority over the dining room. I don't know if this new location will have a drive through or not.

KateWhip
Member Avatar
Great White Shark
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
To day I and a friend had lunch at Blake'so Restaurant in Manchester, NH. They have 2 locations and we tend at the South Main Street location. The building and decor are bit datedifferent BUT they have some really good food. The menu features all day breakfast and dinerror style food. Theye also feature a large ice cream menus featuring their own ice cream. If you're wondering if the ice cream is fresh the creamery is located behind the restraunt. I opted for the chicken ranch wrap which I substituted rolled for fried chicken. My friend got a steak tip sub which he paid to substitute Onion Rings. We also split a single scoop of Chocolate Chip cookie dough. The food was good and 2 meals and desert cost around $30 bucks.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Blake's is a nice place. Ice cream is very good there.

I had lunch today at the Great Budget in Nashua NH today. I dined with my grandmother and had a My few and my grandmother opted for tea. 2 lunches and a soda ran us a bit over 18 bucks which a wasn't horrible. I tried the hot and sour soup which was nothing special. The good over all was ok but not great. It was warm enough but most of the items were overly breaded and lacking flavor. Service was good enough they got my refill in a timely manner. But what gets me more is the building itself it's a bit dingy and run down. The bathrooms were more like that of a truck stop dirt graffiti stalls and all. Of you need a quick bit and wand to gorge on good it might be an option but there are better options in the area.

We really need a solid buffet in this are.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
About a year ago, I ate at two restaurants in Manchester. Both were rated top 5 on Tripadvisor.

Cotton: Good food, but on the pricey side. I liked the 1920's/30's theme though.

Republic Cafe: For the price you pay, the food was surprisingly good. First time I ever had middle eastern food, which I thought was somewhat similar to Indian food.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Interesting. I often avoid places that are overly expensive. I don't always find their inflated prices worth the extra costs. but for a special event it can be fun to go someplace a bit higher scale.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
If you go to a Cheesecake Factory on a Sunday Morning-early afternoon, you must try out their Sunday Brunch menu. The fried chicken waffle one is truly to die for, and literally worth every single penny.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Sounds tempting. though I would be concerned the sodium would put me in a coma.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yesterday morning I ate at the Airport Dinner in Manchester, NH. It's located on Brown ave and is part of the Holiday Inn hotel. The Restaurant is also part of the Common Man family of eateries. This is the second time I have eaten here. The motif is a 50's style dinner with aviation accents. 50's and 60's music plays.

The staff is friendly and attentive though the themed booths are not very accommodating for someone in a wheelchair. You can get access from the hotel as well as the front though if you enter form the hotel it looks a bit like walking into a kitchen.

Food is pretty good and prices are average. Meals come with homemade chips and fries are a hefty up-charge. I personally find that move a bit disappointing. Also while they serve breakfast all day they have a limited menu before 11 am. So if you go for brunch you can't get any fried options. My friend went for the bacon Cheeseburger which was a good sized burger. I opted for the pulled pork sandwich which was tasty but somewhat plain.

Worth checking out but be prepared to pay a bit more then average dinner prices

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Sounds interesting.

Last night while I was at a Cheesecake Factory, I ordered the Spicy chicken cashew dish. When it arrived, it looked completely different then from how I remembered it looked. It had cashews and it had chicken, but it wasnt that spicy. Plus it wasnt as good as I remembered. It was really weird that it also had mango in it. Turned out that the waiter got me the wrong meal, and it was actually something different. The waiter did return with the actual dish that I ordered, and it was just like how I remembered it.

It wasnít a big deal, since I now get to have more Cheesecake Factory food for leftovers. I wonder if this has happened to anyone before.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I'm just glad you were not allergic to anything in that other dish. My mom is allergic to Mango so that mistake would have made her very sick.

I have never eaten at a cheesecake factory. Havenít really seen much on their menu that makes me want to. Plus there really isn't one near me and I wouldn't go out of my way to eat at one.
Edited by SROS Master, April 14 2017, 09:58 PM.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Cheesecake Factory has a lot of good stuff. They have a huge variety of dishes to choose. My favorite dish there is the Bang Bang chicken shrimp. That peanut sauce used on top of the white rice is super good.

I also like trying out their sandwiches on the sandwich menu. The Cuban and BBQ chicken sandwiches are good.

Their Adams peanut butter cheesecake is ridiculously good.

I even thought their Nachos on the appetizer menu was very good.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I will do grilled chicken but rarely do cold cut sandwiches when I eat out. I have ham, turnkey or chicken sandwiches pretty much every day for lunch. I try to stick to meals that are harder to make at home or a specialty of the restaurant. For example every time I go to the Puritan Back Room I Get the chicken tenders.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I ate at what is ranked Bostons finest restaurant from Zagat, Le espalier. Located on the northeast side of Prudential Center. We ate there for a special occasion. The food is definitely the best in New England. However considering the price is on par with what you get at a fine dining place in New York City, we thought it was a bit overpriced for what you get. We ate there once before for their weekend brunch, for a different special occasion, and I thought that was more worth for your buck. Mainly because of that duck dish I had(which was ridiculously good).

So if you donít wanna travel far and you want the closest thing to New York City quality food, sure its worth a shot. But if your saving it for a special dining option in New York City, I would skip it and settle for a place thatís more worth your buck.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Wow, I looked this place up and the prices are really high. 31 dollar appetizers. Meals running as high as 81 dollars. Watching food shows on TV i have noticed that there seems to get to a point were a high end restaurant seem its an honor just to be dining there and the food portions. A tiny portion of meat with a high end presentation. I rather go to a n option in between that has more food but still have good taste.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Yeah, I thought Sorrelinas was the better overall restaurant. Better atmosphere with very good food, and their truffle fries were to die for.

I ate at Smoky Bones with my friend. I havent eaten here in a very long time. Not since they changed the resturant. It use to have a more rustic cabin decore, and their food was good for what it is. The decore and atmosphere now is just typical modern. The food is definitely better than at T bones, and Chilis. We had their cheese fries, onion rings, and nachos for appetizer. Pretty darn good, though I thought Cheesecake Factorys nachos were a littler better. The burger I had was also pretty good. Definitely better than fast food, but not the best burger I had. It is a little better than Chilis burgers are right now. It really is a shame how Chilis use to have ridiculously good burgers. For dessert, we shared the fried oreo vinilla ice cream, and the cinnemon donuts. Really liked the fried Oreo one, since I miss having the fried oreos at Lake Compounce. The donuts I thought were decent, but not nearly as good as they were from long ago.

Definitely worth going if you want food like at T bones and Chilis, but better.

Newsies
Member Avatar
Sand Shark
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice to hear they have good food. I don;t get to South end Nashua much so I haven't been to Smoky Bones in over 15 years. I will admit though that it's a better option for that location then then the previous inhabitants, On The Boarder and Red Lobster.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Never ate at a On The Boarder, or Red Lobster. Though I wonder if On the Boarder has this new triumphing dish that has this great wall of Tortilla chips.

I ate at latitude 44 at Bretton Woods, located at the top of the high speed quad you ride from the base lodge. While the food wasnít bad considering its location, the real bonus was the view of Mount Washington. Just when I thought the view from T bones in Lanconia was the best I have seen at a restaurant, this view was 3x better! I actually perfur eater at this place over T bones now. Yeah the food isnít quite as good as at T bones, the view and location was a huge bonus for me. Not to mention the lovely chairlift ride you get to do on the way(which by the way is only 5 bucks).

I strongly recommend eating here if you want a true mountainside setting.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I can't say I have ever had to take a chair lift to eat at a restaurant. Closest thing was a place I ate at years ago called Mars 2112 in NYC. It's sadly closed now but before entering the restaurant you boarded a motion simulator and flew form NYC to Mars. Then after entering you found yourself in a mars themed cavern with a handful of video screen and rugs that were soft, sort of like walking on sand. food was very good and prices were bit high but not horrible.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
^I ate there too, and that was long ago. It was very odd how you had to go through a simulator ride before eating. The theming was very impressive, though I donít remember the food being that great. I also remembered the waiter was dressed up as an alien, acting all goofy. The other very odd restaurant I remembered eating at in NYC was Jerkyl and Hyde. It was around the same time I ate at Mars. It had a cool preshow where a skeleton greeted you on a projection screen. Then the ceiling starts lowering, thinking you were gonna be crushed. Of course it then raises back up, and then thatís where you enter the restaurant. It had live performances every so often to fit with the backstory. Like Mars, the waiters/waitresses were also dressed up in character. The food I also thought was on par with Mars.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Maybe it was what I picked. I got something like a friend lasagna and I really enjoyed it. Our waiter was dressed up a bit but I thought was was more of a space cadet not an alien. they did have 3 walk around characters.

didn't try Jerkyl and Hyde but have been to the Hard Rock Cafe which I was not impressed by and Planet Hollywood which I enjoy far more but food is average.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Maybe thats what it was, but I cant really remember. All I remembered was some goofy dude who at one point whispered something random in my ear.

I was at a Hard Rock Cafe in Toronto, but never really got the full restaurant experience, since that was a special event for that Rush concert we went too a couple years ago. Really liked the themeing though.

Never ate at a Planet Hollywood, but saw one while I was at Downtown Disney. One of my friends I was with at the time ate there before and said its really good.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
I ate at the NY Hard Rock with a school group. The food was dinner quality or upper end fast food nothing special. The music memorabilia is neat but not enough to drive me to visit since many locations have those sort of stuff.

I have been to the Planet Hollywood in NY and Downtown Disney. The food is pretty good and the Memorabilia is great. a lot of things to look at not jut little things on the wall but major movie props. I wish they had opened the one planed for Boston but given how many have closed I can see why they never built it. it really seems like a restaurant that is better off teaming up with a tourist attraction.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Ate at Six Burner Bistro in Plymouth NH for lunch. I decided to try something from their specials menu. Had their buffalo ceaser wrap which I believe was about 8 bucks. Man it was ridiculously good. Much better than anything I had on their regular lunch menu(though their still good for what they are).

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Sounds like a nice place. I don;t get out that way much and I have been looking for a new place since Yokens Closed.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
This last week I had Lunch at The Tilted Kilt in Nashua, NH. If you are not aware of this Restaurant it's a sports bar with a Scottish theme. The restaurant also features, Like Hooters, female waitstaff Which some might consider skimpy outfits. That aside the restaurant features plenty of TV's and bar type food. A similar restaurant would be Buffalo Wild Wings.

I visited with my friend Katie it was her Suggestion in fact. This is my 3rd visit to the restaurant and it's been around for a few years. Despite being lunchtime the place was not very crowded. We were able to order quickly. We did have an incident with a soda spinning which probably took a bit loner to clean up there it should have. one reason for that is there was one waitress covering the main floor.

The food was pretty good. I got a pulled pork sandwich that has a big portion of pulled pork but could have used a bit more BBQ Sauce. That came with a good portion of fries. My friend got Chicken Fingers which also come with fries. I have to give a shout out to these chicken Fingers, They are the biggest I have ever seen. I swear they just took a large chicken breast and cut it into 3 pieces. Cost of the food is a bit high. both out meals cost $13 bucks so with drinks and tax the meal came to 34.34. So with tip we basically payed $40 dollars. last time we spent anywhere near that much it was for a much fancier place.

Overall the The food was very good and surprisingly unlike many chain restaurants it wasn't overly salty. Which was a big plus. but at the cost to dine there I suspect this will never become a regular place.

KateWhip
Member Avatar
Great White Shark
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You forgot to mention the parking!

Tilted Kilt has no handicapped spaces in front of their door. There are a couple spaces in the center of the plaza which means you have to park away form the restaurant and walk back. Given I have a chair that's less of an inconvenience for say someone with a walker. but it's still something that should be addressed.

My last Restaurant was the Mile Away in Milford, NH
They operate out of an of farm house not from from Hampshire Hills. I had a hell of a time setting up reservations because the owners went on Vacation and never changed the phone recording So I kept calling and getting a message about their hours. So I finally got through to set up a reservation but it turns out that a late lunch of Sunday doesn't really need one.

This was to celebrate my dads cousins birthday. So I and my friend Michael met up with here at the restaurant. There is a nice outdoor waiting area and it was very hot that day and there was no shade to be found so we went right in as soon as our full party arrived. it was a bit before our reservation but they sat us right way. The inside is very rustic with an odd assortment of items like China dishes, German clocks, and and Swiss items. There were also a couple animal heads on the wall and a wagon wheel chandelier.

I and my dad's Cousin ordered water while my friend opted for soda. he got a refill they don't offer free refills but they did not tell us that so five dollars for 2 sodas. My friend and I both got Chicken Parm while my Dad's Cousin ordered the Wienerschnitzel, Here favorite dish. The chicken parm was a very big portion in fact I took half of it home for another meal. While the portion was big the food was not amazing. Chicken was a bit dry and the cheese was nearly burned to a crisp. pasta sauce was lacking flavor. i was expecting more fro a main course that cost $15.95 each. We opted to not do the 4 course meal which would have pushed the cost up to 21.95 each. The meal came to a nearly 60 by the time were were done. With the prices that high we opted to avoid there desert and instead eat at a local ice cream stand.

I know people that have eaten here and said the food was good so maybe we caught them on a bad day. I have $40 dollars left on a gift card so I'll be trying them out at least one more time. I think I should try a different day and maybe a week night.

SROS Master
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
Never heard of this place. I think the reason its expensive is because of the waitresses. HAHA!

I ate at Bubbas in Newbury NH with my dad and his friend. Food wasnít anything special, but its always fun visiting a restaurant we never ate at before. Liked the themeing and atmosphere, and especially the view of Lake Sunapee from that window we happened to be lucky enough being seated at.
Edited by SROS Master, August 2 2017, 09:31 PM.

mrceagle
Member Avatar
Blue Whale
One might think it's the waitress but if you dine at Hooters they have a bigger menu and The prices are more on par with your average chain restaurant.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Food (General talk, Fast food, Dining out, Etc) · Next Topic »
Add Reply