Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Character Application

Player Handbook

Ships & Crews

Discord Live Chat
Welcome to Lost In Serenity. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!.

New Player's Guide.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
One Foot Over the Line; Ronan Cammeron does his business
Topic Started: May 6 2018, 10:42 AM (676 Views)
MacTrom
Member Avatar
Harbormaster
Ronan Cammeron, his hand barely touching the butt of his FN5-7, still in its holster, crouched alongside the ramshackle hut where his suspect was last known to reside. He scowled at the mud clustering around the heal of his fancy cowboy boots and tapped his jacket breast pocket, holding the warrant.

It could'a been easier, he thought to himself. Only if I had caught up to him at the bar 'stead of havin' to traipse out here in the dead of night.

The window at his shoulder had the blinds drawn, so he couldn't catch a glimpse inside, but he was fairly sure the fugitive was home. He had staked out the bar but the man was a no show. However, the rusted out truck sat in the driveway, and on feeling the hood, Ronan could tell it had been driven recently. Might be he had gone to a different bar tonight, or maybe done some other errand in town. In either case... time to get it done.

He moved quietly to the door; the darkness of the night would help to cover his arrival, and would continue for another three hours. Best time of night to catch someone asleep.

His hand gently tested the knob: locked. Then a sound from inside made him hesitate. He drew, and stepped back to kick the door.

Posted Image
Edited by MacTrom, May 6 2018, 10:55 AM.
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow. Things should start to get interestin' right about now

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Becker
Member Avatar
First Mate
The first thing Ronan was met with was a whine that turned into a hiss followed by a wail.

The cat then rushed away from a collection of scattered boxes in the hallway.

To his right, there was a doorway that led to a living space. Ahead, a doorway to the kitchen. On the left, stairs that led up.

There were some scuffles ahead from where the cat had ran, while a faint glowing light emanated from the living space.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MacTrom
Member Avatar
Harbormaster
Ronan stepped through the doorway, gun now gripped in both hands and held out in front of him. He steadied himself against the front wall while quickly scanning the stairs leading up and listening for any footsteps. Then he turned to glance into the living area, a quick peek and back, then when he determined the room empty, stepped into the room and did a more thorough search. Gun swiveling to cover all the corners, he stepped gingerly around the furniture, his night vision trying to make out all the dark shapes.

Posted Image
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow. Things should start to get interestin' right about now

Becker
Member Avatar
First Mate
The light was coming from a humming cortex screen on the wall that displayedsome late night shows. It was muted. Different colours danced across the room as the scenes changed.

The edges of several beer cans reflected from a table in the front room. Most scrunched up or on there side. A few unopened. One in upright and in progress.

Dull colours failed to truly illuminate the room, but while scanning the edges of furniture, Ronan noticed the frame of a window slowly swinging open just in time to catch a pair of legs tumbling over the windowsill to the outside.

MacTrom
Member Avatar
Harbormaster
Ta ma de Ronan spun on his heal, ducked back out the door and out the front. Three huge strides to the end of the porch, and he was half airborne and half falling behind the figure making a run for the truck. As his feet landed, he was almost arms length from the man, and reaching out to try to grab...

"Jesse Gorne! Halt! I got a warrant here says you need to stop and talk!"

Didn't expect the fugitive to do anything else, but it might give him a moment to react and that might be just enough.

Posted Image

Becker
Member Avatar
First Mate
The man staggered towards the truck frantically.

"Kiss my pi gu!"

He didn't go for the door, but for the truckbed, leaping into it head first. He balanced by his gut on the side then, as Roman closed in, dropped back to the floor with a 2 by 4 in his hands.

He swung wildly and carelessly.

MacTrom
Member Avatar
Harbormaster
Monte easily dodged the swing, waiting until the 2x4 had just passed his head before stepping inside the man's reach, and bringing his pistol up along side his head with a resounding thud.

"Now, you didn't have to do that, sir. We could have spoken with a little less ... hostility?"

Posted Image

Becker
Member Avatar
First Mate
The man dropped into a heap on the floor, blood trickling from his temple.

Under close scrutiny this was indeed Jesse Gorne, the man Ronan was looking for.

"Why can't you just leave me be?" The man snarled as he sulked on the ground. The stench of alcohol from him was strong.

The dark street became more illuminated as headlights beamed from a mule coming down the street.

MacTrom
Member Avatar
Harbormaster
"Just doing my job."

Ronan pulled cuffs with his left hand and snapped them on Jesse's wrists. He pulled the man up into a squatting position before the headlights caught the two of them in their beam. He let his right hand lower so the gun wasn't pointing at anything in particular, knowing that his fast draw would defend him if things turned sour.

Posted Image

Becker
Member Avatar
First Mate
The lights from the mule brightened up the area, then blinded Ronan if he was to look directly at them.

But they subsided and the vehicle passed. No one could be made out and they didn't seem to have any interest in the bounty hunter and his prey.

Jesse's eyes followed the mule with hope that faded the further away it got.

"What happens now?"

MacTrom
Member Avatar
Harbormaster
Ronan watched the mule fade into the distance before holstering his sidearm. He took Jesse's right arm with his left hand, pulling the man up onto his feet and then walking him to the speeder parked around the corner.

"Well, seems like we drop you at the Magistrate's and I collect my reward for your capture. Next time, though, I'd suggest hunkering down somewhere other than your brother's place. Kind of obvious if you think about it. "

Once Ronan has Jesse secured in the back cage, he slid into the driver's cockpit and sped away to the regional Magistrate. Delivery and paperwork. A cred-stick in his pocket and the balance deposited into his Ali-Bank account, he smiled and headed back to his ship.

Posted Image

Becker
Member Avatar
First Mate
An easy job. Pulled off without a hitch.

Ronan was back in the black in no time, scouting more work, considering his next destination.

With one interruption.

A distress signal pinged through the black, finding Ronan's yaught in range. It pinged repeatedly, as most good distress signals were prone to do. In this portion of deep space it was lucky to come across another ship and to have a signal like that received could be a life saver.

Then the distress signal stopped.

Ronan had a general idea of the location if he wanted to investigate.

MacTrom
Member Avatar
Harbormaster
Ronan had dropped off the speeder at the rental office next to the port and cleared his account. He still had a considerable credit available at any of the branches, and since his yacht didn't have the cargo capacity to haul a vehicle, he had to rent local transport as needed. The cage, however, went with him. He hefted the collapsable box onto his back and walked to his ship. Hehe keyed in the security code, popped the hatch and entered, closing up behind him.

Once the cage was stored, he dropped his weapon belt and personal gear in the armory. He doffed his stetson, wiping his brow with his sleeve and breathed a sigh of relief. It hadn't been a long day; the fugitive had been stupid this time, but he could feel the thirst growing in his stomach.

He approached his dry bar and opened his bottle of Old Turkey, poured a shot glass and took a sip. It felt good, and he finished the rest of the drink in a second swig. He refilled his glass before capping the bottle and putting it back. Taking the shot glass in hand, he headed to the bridge.

His feet were up on the corner of the console, and he was just relaxing, watching the darkness of the Black when he heard the ping on the long range scan. He sat up, looking at the range finder readings while trying to bring the signal into strength. He almost had it when the signal stopped. He stared blankly at the screen for a moment while the gears in his head processed the information. A scowl crossed his jaw and he flicked one of the controls. Putting a pause on his current destination, he keyed in the last fix on the distress signal, plotting the intercept course. Punching the confirm, his yacht responded to the change and headed off at three fifths top speed.

He settled back scratching his chin, feeling the roughness of an unshaven beard at the edges of his trim goatee.

Posted Image

Becker
Member Avatar
First Mate
In the vicinity of the distress signals source was one ship floating aimlessly in the black.

Bumblebee class. Small transport ship, currently hauling one load shown externally on the starboard side. On it's best day it could house five people. They usually acted as wagons for mom and pop businesses.

Unresponsive and inactive, the boat was running on emergency power. Of note was the fact that no emergency pods had been launched.

Two entrances were obvious. A hatch on the underside of the ship or an access point on the port side where another cargo load could have been attached.

MacTrom
Member Avatar
Harbormaster
Ronan guided the Armadillo alongside the Bumblebee, swinging it so his airlock hatch would align with the ventral hatch on the derelict. It would be a tricky maneuver but one he had done before. Once the two ships were touching, he shut down the engines and engaged the magnetic grapples to secure the ships together. He left the cockpit and headed for the airlock where he donned his vacc suit and peered out the port window at the hulk merely inches away. He had an inflatable transit tube installed around his own airlock, and he triggered it, waited for the extension to expand out to touch the other ship's hull and clamp on. Then he sealed the inner door of his airlock. depressurized and pulled the dart gun from his airlock's locker before opening the outer hatch and stepping into the extension tube.

The Bumblebee's external controls were half frozen, but with a few thugs from the small hammer from his suit's tool belt, he managed to free it and pulled it up and twisted counterclockwise. There was a hiss of air and the hatch popped half way open.

Posted Image

Becker
Member Avatar
First Mate
Ronan found his way into the ship with ease. He was now in an airlock with two exits.

Through one of the doors window he could see a mess hall. It was bathed in a dull blue light. There was nothing particular of interest in there. It was messy, but not ransacked. In it were a ladder leading up, a ladder leading down and one doorway.

Through the other door was a poorly lit hallway. Based on the layout of the ship smart money would have it leading up to the bridge.

MacTrom
Member Avatar
Harbormaster
Ronan checked the atmospheric pressure readout on his suit, checking external pressure and content before going further. Then he stepped through the door to the dark passageway. Heading port ward and curving around toward the bow, he crept cautiously, looking for any sign of damage, signs of gunfire, any shadows that didn't belong.

Posted Image

Becker
Member Avatar
First Mate
Rounding through a curving passageway, Ronan began to see the black through the window of the bridge. Lights flickered from the command panels, indicating various things.

Further forward, there were red splatters on the window, monitors and panel.

Creeping closer, Ronan saw the body face down next to the pilots seat.

A pool of blood had gathered on the deck around the head of the body.

Investigation of the monitors revealed two things. The ship was running on emergency power and its main fault lay in the engine room.

MacTrom
Member Avatar
Harbormaster
Ronan hesitated, as he bent down to the body, checking life signs. Definitely dead. Cold; so some time ago. He patted down the person's body, checking for apparent cause of death. After that, he looked into each corner and any possible hidey hole before leaving the bridge. He didn't want to leave someone at his back, and it did seem the ship was empty of life.

Heading back around to the mess, he stopped just short of the entry, counted to 10 before entering. He stepped cautiously over to the ladder, but kept his attention also to the corridor leading aft. He checked his atmo gage again, determined that the air was breathable; non-toxic. He tucked his gun into his belt for a moment to unlatch and remove his helmet the better to hear. He swung the helmet back onto its hinge to rest on his backpack. He pulled his gun again and squatted over the ladder leading down, listening intently.

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ballad of Serenity · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Skin orginally created by Tariq | Converted by Lewis of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone