Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home Active Topics Last 20 Topics Post Alert!
GoodGamery Forums - Our friend and ally enemy frenemy in these dark times
Discord
Add Reply
ITT, DS and I talk about knives; Seriously
Topic Started: Jul 22 2011, 04:11 PM (5,749 Views)
Grakthis
Member Avatar
MTGR Exchange Coordinator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What is wrong with Stainless Steel knives? They avoid corrosion and look nice and are highly resistant to long term damage. In exchange, you have to sharpen the shit out of them. They also hold one of the sharpest edges possible, even if it doesn't last forever.

Now, of course, we're talking a higher carbon stainless, not the shit you get your pots and pans made of. We're talking a $100+ kitchen knife here, not a 20 dollar one from the grocery store.

And, any retard who says they put their good kitchen knives in the dishwasher should obv immediately be ignored in any and all discussions about knives. So when some retard tells you they are "saving themselves time" by throwing them in the dishwasher, you should laugh at them and say "yes, enjoy that 3-4 minutes you save every day. I am sure you will make it back when you have to sharpen and replace your knives twice as often. Oh wait. Retard." If you want to have nice things, you have to care for them. If you don't want to have nice things, then enjoy wallowing in your own filth, you disgusting animal >:3

But I question your pointing someone to a hand sharpener when they asked for a honer. I would never try to sharpen my good knives myself. There are some expensive electric sharpeners that pass mustard from America's Test Kitchen, but it's so cheap to have a pro with a wheel and 20+ years experience do it, why would you bother? They even have mail order sharpening services now. And second of all, honing and sharpening are not the same thing. Don't use a sharpener for honing.
Your senseless rambling is becoming harder and harder to read without just laughing at how stupid you're making yourself sound. At this point you have nothing worth saying on the subject. You've made it clear that you have no idea what you're talking about. You should honestly do yourself a favor and remove yourself from this thread because at this point you're just a broken record that's not reading anything that's obviously being put in front of you.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Locus Cosecant
Member Avatar
The King Kong of Ping Pong.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think I shall, thanks
Learn to recognize me by this sig, because my avatar is subject to change.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

haplo
Member Avatar
Forum Elf
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
filth is my favorite thing to wallow in; I highly recommend it over misery

sexican
Member Avatar
Bread Expert
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
why not a ceramic knife instead? they are harder and rarely need sharpening
"Yo, sadness is like
all up inside this nigga
east coast forever."
-- Aziraphale

Grakthis
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sexican
Jul 22 2011, 05:41 PM
Someone lied to you.

They are "harder" in the sense that they hold their edge, yes. But they are not "harder" in the sense that they do not break. Drop one, and it might shatter. Try to split a winter squash with one, and good bye knife. You can't pry anything open with it and you have to be careful to not accidentally cut into a bone or a pit or a seed.
Your senseless rambling is becoming harder and harder to read without just laughing at how stupid you're making yourself sound. At this point you have nothing worth saying on the subject. You've made it clear that you have no idea what you're talking about. You should honestly do yourself a favor and remove yourself from this thread because at this point you're just a broken record that's not reading anything that's obviously being put in front of you.

Basilisk
Member Avatar
High-Powered Poster
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Grakthis
Jul 22 2011, 04:11 PM
But I question your pointing someone to a hand sharpener when they asked for a honer. I would never try to sharpen my good knives myself. There are some expensive electric sharpeners that pass mustard from America's Test Kitchen, but it's so cheap to have a pro with a wheel and 20+ years experience do it, why would you bother? They even have mail order sharpening services now. And second of all, honing and sharpening are not the same thing. Don't use a sharpener for honing.
Yeah, I have a sharpener already, I need a honer.

I feel like sharpening by hand is fine since the knife is not sharp when I start, and it's definitely sharp when I'm done. I don't know what other criteria are important, though. The sharpener handles the angles and all that
chef de claque

Iteration
Member Avatar
Forum Elf
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I am a nub knife user and use whatever I can put in the dishwasher

Grakthis
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Basilisk
Jul 22 2011, 07:15 PM
Grakthis
Jul 22 2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I have a sharpener already, I need a honer.

I feel like sharpening by hand is fine since the knife is not sharp when I start, and it's definitely sharp when I'm done. I don't know what other criteria are important, though. The sharpener handles the angles and all that
Well, a lot of the hand sharpeners damage the blade, take off too much metal and leave you with an edge that is going to dull faster and require more sharpening and thereby repeat the spiral. Unless you have a magnifying glass that you think is good enough to let you see the edge, I don't tend to trust home sharpening. Like I said though, cooks illustrated had a few electric ones they like that were kinda expensive.

Basilisk
Member Avatar
High-Powered Poster
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That sounds not too bad. I don't know where I'm going to find a medieval blacksmith to repair my kitchen knife, so I'll trade that tiny risk of damaging the blade for the convenience of sharpening it myself every once in a while.
chef de claque

Grakthis
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Basilisk
Jul 22 2011, 08:08 PM
That sounds not too bad. I don't know where I'm going to find a medieval blacksmith to repair my kitchen knife, so I'll trade that tiny risk of damaging the blade for the convenience of sharpening it myself every once in a while.
Generally a local knife shop will have a wheel and knife smith who will sharpen most knives for 5-7 dollars or less. I do this about 2 times a year with my good knives. It gives me the added bonus of supporting a business that has been in Louisville for 70 years.

Girdles4Turtles
Member Avatar
Where all the fly honeys
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I mean, I have some stainless steel knives. My swiss army knife, for example, they don't make that in a high carbon steel because morons would just let them rust and swiss army knives are made to be idiot proof to a degree because they're so ubiquitous that morons will end up with them eventually.

Generally, the harder the steel your knife is forged from, the less you will need to hone it. I don't ever hone my knives or edged tools, because the accusharp puts a good enough edge on them for the purposes I need them for. I would hone, for example, a straight razor if I used a straight razor to shave with. You may want a razor edge on your knives, I don't. A razor sharp edge will turn on bone and metal making it muss less useful for self defense and butchering game.

Additionally, the accusharp will sharpen blades of any shape, including curved blades which, depending on how curved they are and in which direction vary from a pain in the ass to sharpen with a whetstone to near impossible.
Won't someone think of the children?

HumpyWumpy
Member Avatar
Kinkshame Police
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Iteration
Jul 22 2011, 07:31 PM
I am a nub knife user and use whatever I can put in the dishwasher
hooray

actually i'm less of a nub and more of a person who doesn't give a shit about nitpicky bullshit like this
Arti: i have some questions
Arti: like reality is supposed to be this real thing and there's like
Arti: laws to this universe and stuff and then a guy just
Arti: eats an airplane

34/737

Locus Cosecant
Member Avatar
The King Kong of Ping Pong.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I just don't eat anything I can't cut with a butter knife.
Learn to recognize me by this sig, because my avatar is subject to change.

burboy
Member Avatar
goes down easy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yeah 440 c grade stainless steel is the standard for basically every kitchen knife in the world, it works out okay
Benzo: oh wait he's saying he would like to have had sex with that woman
Benzo: in the past

Girdles4Turtles
Member Avatar
Where all the fly honeys
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
burboy
Jul 22 2011, 08:50 PM
yeah 440 c grade stainless steel is the standard for basically every kitchen knife in the world, it works out okay
440 stainless steel is for toys

burboy
Member Avatar
goes down easy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
well that and every kitchen knife in the world, yeah

Girdles4Turtles
Member Avatar
Where all the fly honeys
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
kitchen knives are toys compared to real knives though

burboy
Member Avatar
goes down easy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yeah but grak only cares about kitchen knives

like if you gave him a 2205 grade knife he would ask you to trade

HumpyWumpy
Member Avatar
Kinkshame Police
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Girdles4Turtles
Jul 22 2011, 08:53 PM
kitchen knives are toys compared to real knives though
except the only people who care enough to use real knives are most likely assholes or serial killers anyway

34/737

HumpyWumpy
Member Avatar
Kinkshame Police
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
burboy
Jul 22 2011, 08:55 PM

pff only posas care about kitchen knives i cut carrots with an antique scottish claymore

34/737

Girdles4Turtles
Member Avatar
Where all the fly honeys
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
HumpyWumpy
Jul 22 2011, 08:56 PM
burboy

pff only posas care about kitchen knives i cut carrots with an antique scottish claymore
I actually know someone with an antique scottish claymore

Basilisk
Member Avatar
High-Powered Poster
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I cut carrots with any knife, because carrots are easy to cut

Tomatoes, now those are some right bastards. Some days I feel like it'd be better to use a cutting laser
chef de claque

sexican
Member Avatar
Bread Expert
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Grakthis
Jul 22 2011, 05:59 PM
sexican
Jul 22 2011, 05:41 PM
Someone lied to you.

They are "harder" in the sense that they hold their edge, yes. But they are not "harder" in the sense that they do not break. Drop one, and it might shatter. Try to split a winter squash with one, and good bye knife. You can't pry anything open with it and you have to be careful to not accidentally cut into a bone or a pit or a seed.
maybe I'll use a big stainless knife for tough cuts and a smaller ceramic one for precision cutting
"Yo, sadness is like
all up inside this nigga
east coast forever."
-- Aziraphale

Da Crunk BeDazzler
Member Avatar
Posting Virus
[ * ]
dont try and go through the chest. just member you gots to hit the fleshy part under da rib cage and just push up as hard as u can until motherfucker stops movin.

Jew
Member Avatar
just edit this
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yea, that is not a very good gimmick, let's all be friends instead of talking about how to murder each other
look every post here is a poster slapping another poster on the ass

we all have different ass slapping techniques but no matter what you think is happening, you are getting slapped on the ass. if you think you're getting slapped on the face, you are mistaken

because it's the ass that you are getting slapped on

sexican
Member Avatar
Bread Expert
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Da Crunk BeDazzler
Jul 23 2011, 10:57 PM
dont try and go through the chest. just member you gots to hit the fleshy part under da rib cage and just push up as hard as u can until motherfucker stops movin.
what kind of pussy ass bitch ain't got no gun

get out
"Yo, sadness is like
all up inside this nigga
east coast forever."
-- Aziraphale

Girdles4Turtles
Member Avatar
Where all the fly honeys
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Da Crunk BeDazzler
Jul 23 2011, 10:57 PM
no dawg what you do is you come in along the back of the thigh real quick, so you hamstring a bitch

then when they down screaming you kick em in the head until they shut up and draw a deep line across they throat

Basilisk
Member Avatar
High-Powered Poster
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jew
Jul 24 2011, 12:37 AM
yea, that is not a very good gimmick, let's all be friends instead of talking about how to murder each other
I agree, DS, stop talking about murdering people
chef de claque

Grakthis
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Girdles4Turtles
Jul 22 2011, 08:32 PM
I mean, I have some stainless steel knives. My swiss army knife, for example, they don't make that in a high carbon steel because morons would just let them rust and swiss army knives are made to be idiot proof to a degree because they're so ubiquitous that morons will end up with them eventually.

Generally, the harder the steel your knife is forged from, the less you will need to hone it. I don't ever hone my knives or edged tools, because the accusharp puts a good enough edge on them for the purposes I need them for. I would hone, for example, a straight razor if I used a straight razor to shave with. You may want a razor edge on your knives, I don't. A razor sharp edge will turn on bone and metal making it muss less useful for self defense and butchering game.

Additionally, the accusharp will sharpen blades of any shape, including curved blades which, depending on how curved they are and in which direction vary from a pain in the ass to sharpen with a whetstone to near impossible.
I am confused by the idea of a high carbon stainless steel blade rusting. I mean, yes, they can rust, obv. And I never leave mine in the sink. But it's not like they will rush if you leave them sitting out wet for a day. It takes a lot of time leaving them wet to get rust on them.

Anyways, strangely, I went back and looked, and your accusharp was actually the favorite manual knife sharpener from Cooks Illustrated. That being said, they don't like manual knife sharpeners at all because they say even the best ones are only as good as the person using them.

They like: http://www.chefschoice.com/page2a.html

Those are electric ones that do everything for you. The only drawback is they tend to oversharpen (i.e. take off too much metal) and they aren't knife dependent (they sharpen every knife the same).

I guess honing isn't going to be AS important with stainless as it is with other high carbon steels, but you still need to do it. Like, a high carbon steel is going to hold an edge longer, but it's going to bend and need honing way more often. And I don't think your edge turning on metal is going to make your knife less useful for self-defense, unless you are fighting a knight in chain mail.

Grakthis
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
burboy

Because that knife would corrode from cutting tomatoes and that is useless to me. :colbert:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Everything · Next Topic »
Add Reply