Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home Active Topics Last 20 Topics Post Alert!
GoodGamery Forums - Our friend and ally enemy frenemy in these dark times
Discord
Add Reply
Robot Food
Topic Started: Feb 28 2018, 07:06 PM (4,067 Views)
Dantes
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What do they eat?

Braised nuts and bolts with a side of washers sauteed in silicon gel with a WD40 aperitif?
Five frantic frogs fled from fifty fierce fishes. Now say it five times five times fast!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rylinks
Member Avatar
 I've got a tall pointy hat! STATUS, boy!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
humans

Dantes
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
So kidding aside, I want to tlak about food a bit so I started a new thread.

I has a question I'm curious about. So by now everyone should know they need to avoid highly processed foods in favor of food you make for yourself and lightly processed food. What I'm curious about it, what is a lightly processed food?
Five frantic frogs fled from fifty fierce fishes. Now say it five times five times fast!

haplo
Member Avatar
Forum Elf
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
pre-shredded cheese

dbuel
Member Avatar
Wascal
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Group 1 foods (unprocessed or minimally processed)

Group 1 comprises unprocessed foods: that is to say all those found in nature that can be consumed fresh in whole form.
The methods used to produce group 1 minimally processed foods do not substantially change the nutritional properties of the original unprocessed foods, and may improve them, intrinsically or in effect.
Such processes include: cleaning, removal of inedible fractions, grating, squeezing, draining, flaking, drying, parboiling, bottling (without additions other than water), chilling, freezing, fermentation (when the result is not alcoholic), pasteurisation, vacuum and gas packing, and simple wrapping.
The results are minimally processed foods: meat and milk, whole grains, pulses (legumes), nuts, and fruits, and vegetables, roots and tubers sold as such, are usually minimally processed in various ways.
Minimal processing is usually undertaken by the primary producer, packing house distributor or retailer, as well as by manufacturers, for eventual sale to consumers.

http://www.theironyou.com/2012/01/do-you-know-difference-between.html

No idea who these people are
Mods, you can go ahead and close this thread
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rylinks
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dantes
Feb 28 2018, 07:15 PM

I has a question I'm curious about. So by now everyone should know they need to avoid highly processed foods in favor of food you make for yourself and lightly processed food. What I'm curious about it, what is a lightly processed food?
I am sceptical that anyone knows this but if you don't want to get into an argument about nutrition research that is also fine

Dantes
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
haplo
Feb 28 2018, 07:16 PM
pre-shredded cheese
Should be avoided. They put a chemical on it to prevents it from clumping.

Dantes
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Rylinks
Feb 28 2018, 07:20 PM
Dantes

I am sceptical that anyone knows this but if you don't want to get into an argument about nutrition research that is also fine
I'm open to it.

hidamarti sketch
Member Avatar
Puchi Puchi
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dantes

there's a healthcare triage video i keep linking every time this comes up, so i'm going to link it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhEwfaFLrd0

lightly processed foods are foods that, outside of like grak, we wouldn't make at home, so, like, pasta, but you should get pasta that's got like one entire ingredient in it. i get whole grain. then there's like flour. oil.

hidamarti sketch
Member Avatar
Puchi Puchi
[ *  *  *  * ]
personally i drink nothing but dr pepper and for the last eight or so days i have been only eating one cup of rice, one cup of popcorn, and one box of kraft dinner.

MindWarped
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Dantes

haplo
Feb 28 2018, 07:16 PM
pre-shredded cheese
Should be avoided. They put a chemical on it to prevents it from clumping.

normally cellulose, right? what's wrong with that
This placeholder signature added in the interest of uniform post-height aesthetics

Rylinks
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dantes
Feb 28 2018, 07:22 PM
Rylinks
Feb 28 2018, 07:20 PM
Dantes

I'm open to it.
I'm not sure where this view comes from exactly but i read the new york times article and the study and they are kind of post-hoc interpretation of the data? Which isn't like a sin but it's not very convincing.

I don't want to like, dissuade anyone if what they're eating works for them. Just, if it's not working, consider trying something else instead of doubling down because "this is what nutrition research says".

MindWarped
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
here are some reasons why I can think of that it's generally reasonable to try to avoid processed foods:

* prevalence of nutritional boogeymen, like corn syrup / sugars, "bad" fats, and sodium

* processing / precooking leading to breakdown of nutritional components, so your body metabolizes them differently, which is often unhealthy

* homogenization / lack of variety of foods and ingredients, so your diet is less well-rounded

which are compelling enough to me that I think it's a reasonable rule of thumb, at least.
This placeholder signature added in the interest of uniform post-height aesthetics

MindWarped
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
MindWarped

* homogenization / lack of variety of foods and ingredients, so your diet is less well-rounded

this one can probably be corrected for

MindWarped
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
and I guess it can't hurt to be wary of additives in general, but I'd balk at suggesting that "additive" necessarily implies "bad"

Khaos
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
i only use pure salt, no bad iodine additives for me
Kyrie, Ignis Divine, Eleison

Rylinks
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MindWarped
Feb 28 2018, 08:06 PM
here are some reasons why I can think of that it's generally reasonable to try to avoid processed foods:

* prevalence of nutritional boogeymen, like corn syrup / sugars, "bad" fats, and sodium

* processing / precooking leading to breakdown of nutritional components, so your body metabolizes them differently, which is often unhealthy

which are compelling enough to me that I think it's a reasonable rule of thumb, at least.
*sneaks off the stage and sets up a cardboard cutout with a speech bubble that says 'how do you know that'*

Rylinks
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Khaos
Feb 28 2018, 08:53 PM
i can tell :ohyes:

Dantes
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Khaos
Feb 28 2018, 08:53 PM
Personally, I only post kosher salt.

MindWarped
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Rylinks

MindWarped
Feb 28 2018, 08:06 PM

*sneaks off the stage and sets up a cardboard cutout with a speech bubble that says 'how do you know that'*

how do you know what

Rylinks
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
that sugars, sodium etc are bad
that different metabolic effects from precooking are bad

etc

MindWarped
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
if your point is that you can't really be certain of anything, then sure, you do have a point

Rylinks
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
well, my point is that it is very hard to know anything in the field of nutrition, specifically

Rylinks
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
for example, for a while everyone knew that fats were bad and whoops, turns out that's not true

MindWarped
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't believe that that's very different from many other fields of research, except that the consequences feel very personal

Rylinks
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
well i mean i would not say that it's different from e.g. social psycology or for that matter many other health fields

Rylinks
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
but again, if whatever you are doing works, great! I am certainly not telling anyone to abandon something that is working well for them

MindWarped
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Rylinks

well i mean i would not say that it's different from e.g. social psycology or for that matter many other health fields

sure. I'd place nutritional science somewhere between economics and mechanical physics

Crunchums
Member Avatar
Probated
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i would place it below economics (i.e. economics is more well understood), but idk
Does anyone want to be friends with me so we can water each other's berries in the Dream World?

Dantes
Member Avatar
Sentient Keyboard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Rylinks
Feb 28 2018, 11:45 PM
for example, for a while everyone knew that fats were bad and whoops, turns out that's not true
And you know what one of the biggest results of that is?

People mistrust science.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Everything · Next Topic »
Add Reply